• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s0479

What is the name of your state? California

My ex and I divorced in 2002. Because he could not properly care for his dog (his words) I agreed to keep him with the agreement that he would provide the funds for vet bills, food and grooming. He did this until August 2005, got mad at me and stopped. I have proof that the dog is "his dog", that I provided him with receipts for the dog and that he paid them. I'm trying to determine if I have enough to take him to small claims.

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

s0479 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My ex and I divorced in 2002. Because he could not properly care for his dog (his words) I agreed to keep him with the agreement that he would provide the funds for vet bills, food and grooming. He did this until August 2005, got mad at me and stopped. I have proof that the dog is "his dog", that I provided him with receipts for the dog and that he paid them. I'm trying to determine if I have enough to take him to small claims.

Thanks!
Although I would normally tell you that your "Contract" is worth the paper it's written on, because you have a trail of receipts that he has paid and (as you say) can prove the dog is his, you have at least a chance at a case.

Whether or not the judge makes the leap from your ex paying the bills to defining that as a contractural obligation is something we can't answer here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">