• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhlord

What is the name of your state? VA
I purchased a vehicle from a private party on Thursday. The seller stated to me and my son that the car was in excellent condition with no mechanical defects or problems and was only being sold due to a pending divorce. My son drove it the next day less than 50 miles and it started to experience problems, so he parked it and we towed it to a dealership. The dealer states that the car's engine is blown and the former owner knew or should've known of it's condition. The owner states that he's "sorry for our luck." The title was never transferred because I had to pick up my son and make arrangements for the car to be towed. Any recourse?What is the name of your state?

genivieve

rhlord said:
What is the name of your state? VA
I purchased a vehicle from a private party on Thursday. The seller stated to me and my son that the car was in excellent condition with no mechanical defects or problems and was only being sold due to a pending divorce. My son drove it the next day less than 50 miles and it started to experience problems, so he parked it and we towed it to a dealership. The dealer states that the car's engine is blown and the former owner knew or should've known of it's condition. The owner states that he's "sorry for our luck." The title was never transferred because I had to pick up my son and make arrangements for the car to be towed. Any recourse?What is the name of your state?

Was the car sold "as is"? Why are you or your son buying cars without having YOUR own mechanic looking at it. There is no things as trust or honesty anymore. A hand shake is worth nothing.

rhlord

There was no sales contract or agreement and no written warranty. However, there was an express verbal guarantee that the car was free of defects and mechanical problems. We should've waited until AAA could perform a diagnostic, but they were booked solid for the remainder of the week.

BL

rhlord said:
There was no sales contract or agreement and no written warranty. However, there was an express verbal guarantee that the car was free of defects and mechanical problems. We should've waited until AAA could perform a diagnostic, but they were booked solid for the remainder of the week.
So you mean you/your son gave the seller cash money , and did not any kind of receipt ?

The title was not exchanged at the time of purchase ?

Well , if you can get the dealer to put his opinion in writing , prove you paid the seller an amount for the purchase of a vehicle he had for sale and that was the acual purchase price , and that he misrepresented the condition of the vehicle , you might have a shot in small claims .

Other wise without a receipt you purchased the care , and the title not being signed or exchanged , your son is driving someone elses car .

teflon_jones

Do you have a bill of sale? What does it say about the condition of the vehicle? The verbal portion of this means nothing.

Why did you give someone money for a vehicle when they didn't have the title? :confused:
When are you going to get the title?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">