• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what's next? notify work comp or lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alrobmo

Almost two years ago I came down with carpel tunnel.I reported this to my boss.I was sent to the Dr.,put on light duty and recieved therapy for 3 months.Reported back to the Dr. and after some other light testing the Dr. reported that it was a permanent partial diability.Not severe enough to warrant surgery.I was kept on light duty,and placed on another shift in a different dept. in the plant.After the Dr. determined the percentage of loss (6%),work comp paid me for my loss.The Dr. said that if I continued the heavy work the problem will only worsen and he has kept me on light duty with no repetitive motion.Light duty is 20 lbs. or less.I was told by my employer that the only way to get off light duty is to go back to the Dr. and be released.I have not done that.A couple months ago I ask my boss if there was anything else I could do.He told me no because if I reinjured myself or if it becomes worse then I quote"We could be in alot of trouble." Up until a couple months I have been on light duty until my boss became in a bind and put me exactly where 2 weeks earlier he said to me that he could never use me in that dept because of the heavy lifting and it was against Drs. orders.I have been in that dept. for the past month. It was only temporary and now probably only for relieving for vacations. I have experienced some recurance of pain and numbness in the past few weeks. So what do I do with this? I have the most immature unreasonable boss and he retaliates in ways that are hard to prove. I have also been harrassed,emotionaly and sexually,discriminated against because I am female and I don't kiss up to him.I am not the only female with harrassment issues. He will not allow me to work other shifs even tho the work is within my guide lines. He prefers to keep me on a nite shift he knows I hate and then he only has to deal with me a couple hours a day,outta site outta mind type of thing. What will happen if I contact work comp on this? Should I find a lawyer? I have been at this company for 6 years and I have learned that they know how to bend the system and sweep things under the rug. In this area decent paying jobs are hard to find and I really do enjoy the work I'm doing now and I don't care to leave for 2 reasons. 1st it's not right what they"re doing to me and others and 2nd I just like my job. I will seek a lawyer about the harrassment,but what about the WC end of it? Thanks so much kind people peace

L

LadyBlu

alrobmo said:
Almost two years ago I came down with carpel tunnel.I reported this to my boss.I was sent to the Dr.,put on light duty and recieved therapy for 3 months.Reported back to the Dr. and after some other light testing the Dr. reported that it was a permanent partial diability.Not severe enough to warrant surgery.I was kept on light duty,and placed on another shift in a different dept. in the plant.After the Dr. determined the percentage of loss (6%),work comp paid me for my loss.The Dr. said that if I continued the heavy work the problem will only worsen and he has kept me on light duty with no repetitive motion.Light duty is 20 lbs. or less.I was told by my employer that the only way to get off light duty is to go back to the Dr. and be released.I have not done that.A couple months ago I ask my boss if there was anything else I could do.He told me no because if I reinjured myself or if it becomes worse then I quote"We could be in alot of trouble." Up until a couple months I have been on light duty until my boss became in a bind and put me exactly where 2 weeks earlier he said to me that he could never use me in that dept because of the heavy lifting and it was against Drs. orders.I have been in that dept. for the past month. It was only temporary and now probably only for relieving for vacations. I have experienced some recurance of pain and numbness in the past few weeks. So what do I do with this? I have the most immature unreasonable boss and he retaliates in ways that are hard to prove. I have also been harrassed,emotionaly and sexually,discriminated against because I am female and I don't kiss up to him.I am not the only female with harrassment issues. He will not allow me to work other shifs even tho the work is within my guide lines. He prefers to keep me on a nite shift he knows I hate and then he only has to deal with me a couple hours a day,outta site outta mind type of thing. What will happen if I contact work comp on this? Should I find a lawyer? I have been at this company for 6 years and I have learned that they know how to bend the system and sweep things under the rug. In this area decent paying jobs are hard to find and I really do enjoy the work I'm doing now and I don't care to leave for 2 reasons. 1st it's not right what they"re doing to me and others and 2nd I just like my job. I will seek a lawyer about the harrassment,but what about the WC end of it? Thanks so much kind people peace
I would suggest that you consult with a couple of Workers Comp atty's regarding your claim.

What alot of people fail to realize with a Workers Comp injury is that it is in the BEST INTEREST of the WC Carrier and the company to get you treated, and back to work ASAP. That is not always in the best interest of the employee, who has a valid injury and then has reocurring problems with the injury through the years and then when the pain gets to the point that the worker needs more medical attn they fight your claim on the basis that you havent needed treatment for xx amount of time.

Another problem that injured workers fail to realize at the time because you tend to want to TRUST the physician treating you is that he/she is most times working for the best interest of the insurer also. It is beneficial to them to get you back to work as quickly as possible also.

The best advice I can give to anyone that is injured on the job is to NEVER trust the Insurer (Carrier), the Dr. if you feel you are not being treated correctly, or have questions and they are not giving you information, then speak up, request a referral to another Dr. Just because you are receiving lost wages and medical treatment doe NOT mean they are concerned about you or your injury, they are only doing this because they are required to by law.

Next, if you are injured on the job, if you have recurring pain, problems.. Go to the Dr. Never just treat the pain, symptoms yourself as these are not documented and able to be verified at a later date.

My most important advice.. See an Atty, in fact talk to a couple of Atty's. He/she will be the only ones that will be able to help you and protect you from the WC and Carrier to make sure you are given the proper medical treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">