• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bee0403

What is the name of your state? AR
I have rental property and have filed a case in small claims court against a former tenant who owed last months rent and damaged the apartment. I filed, they responded and denied any fault. Now they have sent me a certified letter requesting all information I have including copies of repairs and copies of pictures also all names, #'s and addresses of anyone who is a witness to the damage. I have never had anything like this before and do not know if I have to respond to it. It is not sent through the district court where the case was filed (I called and they didn't know anything about it ) My question is: Do I have to share information with the defendant before the actual court date? I am afraid that if I do give them this information they will harras anyone involved. Also, the best I can tell if the judge decides that either party is bneing represented by an attorney in a case pending he can dismiss it in small claims and send it to a regular municipal court docket. The letter they sent is a legal sounding one even though it is not a legal letter. I think they copied it from something else they have. It is a "Defendant's interrogatories and request for production of documents to the plantiff? Please help. Thank you.

Litigation!

bee0403 said:
What is the name of your state? AR
I have rental property and have filed a case in small claims court against a former tenant who owed last months rent and damaged the apartment. I filed, they responded and denied any fault. Now they have sent me a certified letter requesting all information I have including copies of repairs and copies of pictures also all names, #'s and addresses of anyone who is a witness to the damage. I have never had anything like this before and do not know if I have to respond to it. It is not sent through the district court where the case was filed (I called and they didn't know anything about it ) My question is: Do I have to share information with the defendant before the actual court date? I am afraid that if I do give them this information they will harras anyone involved. Also, the best I can tell if the judge decides that either party is bneing represented by an attorney in a case pending he can dismiss it in small claims and send it to a regular municipal court docket. The letter they sent is a legal sounding one even though it is not a legal letter. I think they copied it from something else they have. It is a "Defendant's interrogatories and request for production of documents to the plantiff? Please help. Thank you.

My response:

"I think they copied it from something else they have." You're right - - they undoubtedly did.

Arkansas has NO provision for pre-trial "Discovery." They only time you have to show your opponent your evidence is at trial. That's it. Period.

As a result, there is NO provision for Motions to Compel you to respond to their Discovery.

Shine them on.

IAAL

bee0403

Shine on them

Thank you. I was really afraid to give them any information I feel is personal about the people who do work with me on my property. They are for the most part self-employed because it is hard to get larger contractors to do such small jobs. They do not need the harassment of these people any more than I do. They have both yelled and cussed me out on numerous occasions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">