• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors built shed partially on our property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DayDreamerCT

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I'm fairly certain I have the most inconsiderate neighbors anyone has ever seen. :(

Over the past weekend, these neighbors decided to do some home improvement. They started by digging up and removing about 20 feet worth of trees and fence that lined between our properties (on the left-hand side of our house.) Then proceeded to build a 10x10 storage shed against where the trees and fence once stood and put up 2 Lengths of different Fencing, one on each side of the building. Now, when I look out the side windows from either the computer room or the master bedroom -- I no longer see the trees, but the back of an ugly shed and 2 pieces of fence. :(

The way our properties are aligned, we all have roughly 3/4 of an acre, and the homes are built toward the left sides of the property, this places the homes about 5 feet from the left side border, and allows a very large right side yard and a nice back yard.

By looking at the property line that has been there and seeing the modifications, I see that my neighbor has decided to take about a foot more of property than they had before this project.

I don't want to cause problems or have issues with them, in that we have to live next door to them and while we're not "friends", nor do we dislike eachother... we're simply civil to one another... just neighbors... I feel taken advantage of, in that they said nothing whatsover and then made changes that directly effect our property as well.

From the looks of things, I seem to be the proud owner of about a foot of loose stones (which surround the bottom of the shed) as well as about 1 foot of the rear of the shed-building itself, and two 6 ft length pieces of fence-- I really don't know what to do.

I have heard rumors from friends who told me, if I don't say anything and I just let it "slide" that I am giving up my property and that they get to keep it if I let time pass.
Is that true? Because while I don't really want to cause any issues between us, I don't want to just give away a two foot length along the left side of my yard.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or feedback, I appreciate it.

---DayDreamer

Last edited:

ENASNI

Feedback...

DayDreamerCT said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I'm fairly certain I have the most inconsiderate neighbors anyone has ever seen. :(

Over the past weekend, these neighbors decided to do some home improvement. They started by digging up and removing about 20 feet worth of trees and fence that lined between our properties (on the left-hand side of our house.) Then proceeded to build a 10x10 storage shed against where the trees and fence once stood and put up 2 Lengths of different Fencing, one on each side of the building. Now, when I look out the side windows from either the computer room or the master bedroom -- I no longer see the trees, but the back of an ugly shed and 2 pieces of fence. :(

The way our properties are aligned, we all have roughly 3/4 of an acre, and the homes are built toward the left sides of the property, this places the homes about 5 feet from the left side border, and allows a very large right side yard and a nice back yard.

By looking at the property line that has been there and seeing the modifications, I see that my neighbor has decided to take about a foot more of property than they had before this project.

I don't want to cause problems or have issues with them, in that we have to live next door to them and while we're not "friends", nor do we dislike eachother... we're simply civil to one another... just neighbors... I feel taken advantage of, in that they said nothing whatsover and then made changes that directly effect our property as well.

From the looks of things, I seem to be the proud owner of about a foot of loose stones (which surround the bottom of the shed) as well as about 1 foot of the rear of the shed-building itself, and two 6 ft length pieces of fence-- I really don't know what to do.

I have heard rumors from friends who told me, if I don't say anything and I just let it "slide" that I am giving up my property and that they get to keep it if I let time pass.
Is that true? Because while I don't really want to cause any issues between us, I don't want to just give away a two foot length along the left side of my yard.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or feedback, I appreciate it.

---DayDreamer
Hello Daydreambeliever...

Are you talking adverse possesion here?

http://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/adverse_possession.htm

Look in your state's laws, but nah... I don't think so.

Looky here dear,
You can still be assertive without being aggressive. Say that to yourself a few times, make it your mantra if you must.
Is it a mobile shed, does it have a cement base? Can they move it off your property? Are you sure (by a survey) that the land is yours?

Stand up for your rights, or put some garden gnomes all in a row right on the border and see if they put up a fuss.

Or, plant some dang trees and bushes and make the back of the shed disappear.

Happy Trails

DayDreamerCT said:
From the looks of things....

You need more proof then just speculating. As mentiined by ENASNI, do you have a survey that shows you, for a fact, where the property line is?

How do you know the neighbor didn't have a survey done prior to building the shed?

A survey is a good place to start.

Are you within the city limits, township, county?
Does your area have a zoning board, where certain "set backs" are required?
Did your neighbor get a building permit?

You have some homework to do....

ENASNI

Happy Trails said:
You need more proof then just speculating. As mentiined by ENASNI, do you have a survey that shows you, for a fact, where the property line is?

How do you know the neighbor didn't have a survey done prior to building the shed?

A survey is a good place to start.

Are you within the city limits, township, county?
Does your area have a zoning board, where certain "set backs" are required?
Did your neighbor get a building permit?

You have some homework to do....
Too True...

But I still think a bunch of [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/gardening/images/gnomesllwydiarth/gnomes4_340x255.jpg"]THESE[/URL] Might do the trick. :D

And maybe [URL="https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=314858&highlight=dish"]THESE PEOPLE[/URL] have some close seconds to the most inconsiderate neighbors.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

ENASNI said:
Too True...

But I still think a bunch of [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/gardening/images/gnomesllwydiarth/gnomes4_340x255.jpg"]THESE[/URL] Might do the trick. :D

And maybe [URL="https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=314858&highlight=dish"]THESE PEOPLE[/URL] have some close seconds to the most inconsiderate neighbors.

I can just imagine what the neighbor's were thinking.

Let's get a satelite dish with our tax return money!
That would be great, but where are we going to put it?
The neighbor's are gone... Let's put it in their yard..
Great idea!!

Then Direct TV refuses to remove it, because they had permission from the subscriber! :eek:

DayDreamerCT

Thank *You* very much guys-- For your comments, feedback and much appreciated Advice. I will contact town hall (we live in a town population roughly 28k) I tried a quick search to see if I could find the population (http://www.city-data.com/city/Cheshire-Connecticut.html)

Anyway, it's a nice town, not too big or too small. :) I'll call town hall, first thing tomorrow morning and find out about the rules, like you said with regard to "set back", I don't know if my neighbor had a permit or not, although I was able to find on the town website that Cheshire does require a permit for anything like this. The shed is built on concrete blocks, looks like the blocks are in the 4 corners. I'll look into a survey too, again, I have no idea if they had one done. But I think you're right, I'll feel better if I have one done for us, for my Peace of Mind. Thanks Again, for everything, I'll let you know what I find out.

heh, and about those Garden Gnomes... :p I'm going to skip those for now, heh. But hey, desperate times call for... We'll cross under that bridge once I finish all the rest of the homework you guys have assigned me. :eek: On the plus side too, I feel much better now that I have a place to start, thanks for that -- I'll be in touch. Thanks Again.

--DayDreamer

ENASNI

Thank *You* very much guys-- For your comments, feedback and much appreciated Advice.
You are welcome, Thank *you* for the "thank you" we do not get those much around here.

Cheshire does require a permit for anything like this
I feel bad for the trees. Me like trees. :(

The shed is built on concrete blocks, looks like the blocks are in the 4 corners.
Sounds movable to me. :)

about those Garden Gnomes... :p I'm going to skip those for now,
Dagnabit.. I went nuts one night on the Home Shopping Network and I was hoping to unload some of those badboys. :eek:

I'll be in touch
Please do, let us know how it turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">