• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who to hold accountable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heeger72

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I received a notice of complaint where the county attorney is suing me for arreared property taxes on a mobile home I have never owned. My mobile home I owned was in a mobile home park, it was repossessed, evicted and moved from the lot. Apparently the owners who put a home in the spot did not have a legal title and did not pay their taxes for 2 years. I took copies of my paperwork to the county attorney and I was told that the PVA office "assumed" that I owned the home. Their assumption is leading to me being falsely accused not to mention the stress of being sued for over $1200 (a fortune to me at this time in my life when I can't even afford a defense lawyer). When I gave them the copies of my paperwork they said they would call me after they looked over it. Of course, I have not heard from them. How should I handle this, who do I hold accountable for their sloppy work, and do I have any recourse with a lawsuit? Thank you for any replies!

BelizeBreeze

Write a certified (RRR) letter to the county attorney's office detailing your situation and the paperwork you left with them.

Tell them that although you were promised a response, none has been forthcoming. Therefore, you are writing to request that they inform you of their decision forthwith.

Dandy Don

You have not explained clearly HOW (or on what document) the county attorney saw your name on that is leading him to the incorrect conclusion. Did you ever have clear title to the property that your mobile home was on? He is probably looking at property tax records kept by the county and if they have not been updated because the new owners never filed, it may not be the county's fault although they ARE technically wrong to go after you.

If you have to pay damages here you can recover them by either suing the county, but it would help your case if you could find documented proof that the other people ever lived on the property (or get signed affidavits/letters by other people who know that they lived on the property after you did) and if you could find their current names, address and phone number (a private investigator can help you find them if you don't know whether they currently live in the same area or not).

If you ever get a response, ask them to withdraw the suit after you have given them contact information about the other people involved, and ask him to sue THEM.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

heeger72

This involves a lot in a mobile home park. My home was a 1978 model, I rented the lot for about 8 years. The home that did not pay taxes was a 2000 model that was there for about 2 years. I believe they are assuming that I traded mine in on the newer home but that is not the case. My home was repossessed and moved from the park, then the lot was rented to the man who did not pay his taxes. I don't have much information from the county attorney yet because they have not called me as they promised to do. To this day, I still have not heard anything from them. I can subpoena the park manager to testify on my behalf with their records that I am not connected to this man/home in anyway. I do know that he left Kentucky and moved to Michigan (the park manager gave me that info) so that is where the search for him could start. The park management has alot of information on him but the PVA and county attorney failed to contact them before suing me. Thank you for replying to my thread! I know that this is simply a mistake made by the county but a simple apology from them would go far in my book, not to mention clearing my name of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">