• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 months of hardships with new condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrEric

I was wondering if anyone knows how much i could expect from dealing with an incompetent construction company who took 6 months to fix many problems noted on my 30 day punch list (they could have been fixed in a day if they showed up) as well as to fix an annoying overflowing toilet and laundry area about once a week for 6 months before the problem was solved. I didn't have full use of my kitchen for and 2nd bath for almost a month. I want compensation for my hardships but they refused to compensate me so i'm thinking of taking them to small claims court or more. Any advice? What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

seniorjudge

DrEric said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how much i could expect from dealing with an incompetent construction company who took 6 months to fix many problems noted on my 30 day punch list (they could have been fixed in a day if they showed up) as well as to fix an annoying overflowing toilet and laundry area about once a week for 6 months before the problem was solved. I didn't have full use of my kitchen for and 2nd bath for almost a month. I want compensation for my hardships but they refused to compensate me so i'm thinking of taking them to small claims court or more. Any advice? What is the name of your state? Washington, DC
Since you do not say anything about the total dollar amount of your actual damages, I would say you have no case.

DrEric

P.S. the actual dollar amount i'm seeking is up for debate - i guess it could be derived from number of days lost without use of stove, number of times i had to clean up leaks, wear and tear of unit from so many construction workers coming in and out etc.

Buk1000

Good luck with that...in most states all you can realistically hope to recover is actual damages, such as what it costs to repair or replace a defective item. Some states don't even award you your legal fees if you win. This is the stuff they don't tell you in pro-tort-reform articles in the news.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">