• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! tips on small claims info.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maruwah

What is the name of your state? MO

I want to start the procedure in taking a small contractor ,that we paid and never did the job, to court. I only have his cell phone number and his house number. I tried to track down his address on the web using his house number but there is no address listed. I would assume that I need that before I can do anything in order to get information to his home. How do I go about getting that information because he will not take my phone calls and there is no other way of speaking with him? If anyone can tell me some things it would be helpful.

S

shell007

maruwah said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I want to start the procedure in taking a small contractor ,that we paid and never did the job, to court. I only have his cell phone number and his house number. I tried to track down his address on the web using his house number but there is no address listed. I would assume that I need that before I can do anything in order to get information to his home. How do I go about getting that information because he will not take my phone calls and there is no other way of speaking with him? If anyone can tell me some things it would be helpful.
How about getting your LOCAL NEWS network involved?

NYDST5611

Contractor

I don't know the laws of MO, but I can tell you NY laws & that may give you some leads to follow up on in MO. First of all, do a google search to find phone numbers to find out if the contractor is licensed (this department can be either in your town, county or your capital city). If you get the wrong department, chances are they will direct you to the right department. What you need to find out first is if the contractor is licensed. Next thing (and pretty important) is are contractors REQUIRED to be licensed? In NY, contractors are requried to be licensed and if they are not you won your case. Doesn't matter if he did an crappy job or an immaculate job. No license, No pay. And, in NY they will go after the contractor. So, see what MO requires. You don't need to be a lawyer to make the phone call. And, if they need a license, ask them who you can file a complaint with and how you can get your $$ back. They should be very willing to help you. If you get a snotty clerk the first time, apologize & say something like I have another call I have to take & call back, maybe you'll get a better clerk. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">