• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County Attorney/Private attorney/Conflict of Interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainyday8169

What is the name of your state? I live in washington but this case is in Minnesota
A county attorney in MN where I lived from June 2003 to November 2004. He apparently also has a private practice on the side. He filed a Response to Motion for Modification of Child Support on behalf of myself to prevent A.K.,the Father of my son, from having his already minimal child support lowered. While waiting to hear back from the courts the police show up at my home and take my son by a court order obtained for the father by the very same attorney

Can a County Attorney represent the state on behalf of parent and also be the other parent's private attotney?

Last edited:

JETX

Way, WAY too long for a free online forum..... shorten it to just the essentials, and someone might try to help.

JETX

Rainyday8169 said:
Can a County Attorney represent the state on behalf of parent and also be the other parent's private attotney?
Obviously, they can, since your post says that is what happened. However, if it is as you claim, the attorney may have made himself subject to your complaint with the state bar association due to 'conflict of interest'. Contact the bar and file a complaint.

Here are the MN Rules of Professional Conduct...
http://www.courts.state.mn.us/lprb/conduct.html

Rainyday8169

I filed the complaint back at the beginning of November last year.
He responsed to the investigator
I responded to his response in late November
I received a letter saying the investigation was over in January and the case referred to another office for a final decision and I never heard back from them

I lost my son due to the actions of this attorney
And a lot more
Not to mention a criminal conviction

If the ethics comittee in MN decides there was conflict is there anything I can do to repair the damage done? Would I have any sort of case against the attorney or the state ?

Rainyday8169

If he is found by the ethics committee to have broken the rules of professional conduct with the rulings that came about as a result of his misconduct be reversed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">