• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spetsacdc

What is the name of your state?
Tennessee

Hello,

I have some information about an unethical business man who recently closed his Knoxville, TN business and took customer's money

Late last year the indoor sports arena named the Thunderplex was closed without warning. The Thunderplex was located in a leased building at 727 Lovell Rd. It was a popular spot for kids and adults to participate in sports leagues such as soccer, volleyball, and even dodgeball.

Last fall I decided to sign up for the dodgeball league after having played the preceding spring. I recruited some of my friends to play and our team of unwealthy teenagers scrounged up $280 to join the league ($40 a piece).

After playing the second game we found out through a phone call from a former referee that the Thunderplex was closed.

He was unhappy that it was suddenly shut down because he lost his job without warning. Because of this he gave me the name and cell phone number of the Thunderplex's owner.

I have called the owner multiple times and it has progressed from him "Not having an answer, call back next week" to him ignoring my calls.

It is obvious that the owner of the Thunderplex waited until right after a new league started to close the complex. There is no telling how many people lost their money to this unethical business owner.

Although I have only personally lost $40 in this scam, I feel responsible for getting my friend’s money back since I told them how great the league was.

I have been looking into using small claims court to get the money back, but I have a few questions:

1.) The owner of the business lives in Nashville, TN (4 hours from Knoxville), since the business was in Knoxville and that is where the conflict occurred, will it be held in Knoxville small claims?

2.) It is $102 to take someone to small claims court according to the clerk I called. Are there any other fees?
3.) My evidence includes records of a check I wrote for my $40, a receipt for $280 for the league, and the word of the referee (if he will agree to testify). Do I have a chance to win the case?
4.) Can I sue for $280+the court costs? (I think I read that I can)

Thank you for your time.

racer72

1. If that is where you file your lawsuit.

2. Required copies, process server, legal fees.

3. If anyone could answer that question, they would be answering questions here. I would spend my time at the local horse track.

4. No. You can only sue for your out of pocket losses. The others will have to file their own lawsuits.

My question to you, if the guy won't give your money back now, what makes you think a court judgment will work any better?

spetsacdc

3. If anyone could answer that question, they would be answering questions here. I would spend my time at the local horse track.
Is that supposed to be a fancy way of saying you do not know?

My question to you, if the guy won't give your money back now, what makes you think a court judgment will work any better?
For the same reason anyone else goes to court over money disputes. Getting the money from a court ruling makes it much easier since there are many consequences/ways to get the money including taking from his paycheck, or taking property.

JETX

spetsacdc said:
The owner of the business lives in Nashville, TN (4 hours from Knoxville), since the business was in Knoxville and that is where the conflict occurred, will it be held in Knoxville small claims?
If you file your case there... AND if the defendant files a motion to dismiss due to venue... AND if you challenge his motion properly.... the Knoxville court will likely deny his motion.

It is $102 to take someone to small claims court according to the clerk I called. Are there any other fees?
Depends on whether that fee includes service on the defendant, etc. Ask the court.

My evidence includes records of a check I wrote for my $40, a receipt for $280 for the league, and the word of the referee (if he will agree to testify). Do I have a chance to win the case?
Based SOLELY on the information in your post, not likely. You have provided NOTHING to support the essential issue of the defendant KNOWINGLY defrauding you.

Can I sue for $280+the court costs? (I think I read that I can)
No. You could only sue for your ACTUAL loses .. being the $40 plus costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">