• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment and Retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ConfusedAJ

I need help!!! I don't know what to do...

I was harassed by my manager when I was working as a Secretary in North Brunswick. Aside from giving away 'free' meals just to go out with him, he gave me gift that was very descriptive--a big red flower silk inside a big heart-shaped crystal with a stand. He also drew a heart with an arrow on my desk planner. He even summoned me to refrain from talking to his male personnel. He also made several calls from his office, NY office, his sister's house, at a bar, in his car...just to check me out. Making sleazy comments like: "You're so sexy", "I am fond of you", "I like what you're wearing today, you're too sexy", "I'd rather be with you", "I wanna go out with you", etc... He would call day or night, on weekdays or on weekends. Even asked me to go out with him...in a bar...to eat lunch (even on 'Valentine's Day) or dinner. He was even persistent to go to my place. He even tried to follow me after work. After repeated refusal to his invitations, he unsolicitedly and maliciously kissed me on the lips while photocopying some documents on January 6 and repeated same demeanor on March 10 after I, likewise, rejected his invitation to go out in a bar with him. After I clocked out, he pulled me in the corner and hugged me. I struggled , but then he restrained and kissed me. Forcefully, he tried to even put his tongue through my mouth. I fought, then freed myself. Shaken and afraid, I ran to my car. Although, scared that he may be following behind, I was forced to pull over. I started throwing up! Not even remorseful, he called me at my apartment that night from a bar, bragging, even asked me persistently to meet with him. Sounded drunk, he also told me how he misses me and that he wanted me to be there with him. I just couldn't say anything harsh except that I told him I didn't appreciate his early gesture. That I was afraid of him. (Afraid, that he would do something to my job since I was still on probation then. And likewise, when he told me he's coming down to my apartment). So, I kept silent. (Witnessed by my neighbor who was listening in on another extension).

Right after the last incident, I reported my manager's inappropriate behavior to my supervisor. The latter, then, just ignored my complaint. Apparently, same thing happened before (a couple of years ago) to another female employee and he's trying to cover it up saying what happened was not unusual; and my manager was just trying to be friendly. Few weeks after I complained, I was relocated from one desk to another and was given multiple tasks assigned to two secretaries. (There was one vacant position vacated by another secretary). The environment became very hostile and even my other co-workers started to aggravate and harass me.

I was, then, referred to the company's 'Business Diversity' last May by my friends and co-workers. (My manager even prevented me from calling my friends and co-workers, however, I was able to get referrals when I called from home). That following day, my manager called me from the 'camp' questioning me if I've been talking to anyone. Especially to the other 'victim'. Had he not ask me about the other female employee, I wouldn't have found out that same awful thing happened to her few years back. He started suggesting inducements: more vacation time and free time, even offered money to loan, use of the company vehicle, etc... which I refused and rejected all the time. He, then asked me if I was scared of him. He told me that he will find a way or means that will make the company liable for what happened. That same day, he came back from the camp, he never ceased asking questions, everywhere I go he kept following me. Then, he started harassing the other female employee for telling me about what happened before. I told the company's Business Diversity counsel about what he'd told me and that I was afraid he'll do something bad; the counsel then suggested it would be best for me to move out from North Brunswick till they find resolution to my case. Although, moving was against my will, she told me she's only re-assigning me to New York temporarily.

Meanwhile, since I was placed in the same 'Division' as my manager, (where he can still get access to the building), I continuously get harassed. Snide comments from other co-workers and even other managers who retaliated. 'Business Diversity' counsel, however, dissolved my case in July for lack of merit. She totally ignored and omitted some facts in my statement and my witnesses' testimonies. Told my allegations were untrue and yet unfounded. Surprisingly, however, she found that some of my manager's conduct was inappropriate [I wonder, which one???] and thus, need to be rectified. I even told her about the retaliation, and she still didn't listen. In spite of this closure, New York management kept me for another 3 months. As per agreement, I will only work in New York temporarily till the case is resolved. And since they closed my case, I should be brought back to New Jersey. First, I was told by my Admin. Manager that since one of her clerk's going to be on vacation that I should stay till she comes back. I stayed and waited. Then again, I asked to be relocated, yet she refused, saying it was not healthy for me to go back. Also, the 'Board' still yet to decide what to do. At this time, the other 'Secretarial' position in North Brunswick was abolished, leaving my position 'open'. Due to my low seniority, I got bumped after staying in New York for almost 6 months (--could be the company's plan to get rid of me?--) I was asked to leave the day after they served me the slip to bid another position. I wasn't even given 5-day lag time to post a job. I had no choice except to accept a job that was unbearable otherwise I will end up unemployed with no compensation. I was awarded a job in NY within the same 'Division'-- same position. However, since the position was 'open' for 2 years and no one's bidding in, that means, there' something wrong with the place...another hostile environment? Probably, a set-up, so, I can constructively terminate myself..??? I was warned by new co-workers that rumors already spread and they're waiting for me to take their insults and give me a hard time.

So, from May through October, my stay in New York was very unpleasant. Obviously, I was being retaliated against. First, I was not welcome, I was treated indifferently and wasn't given a desk to work on. (And this went on after another job was awarded to me). I was floating around while doing the work assigned to me, standing...I even improvised, and tried to use the little space in the corner. After a while, I was given a filthy desk. They finally decided I needed one to do multiple tasks. Aside from these, my name was deleted from the distribution list, and my calls were being intercepted. Even my paychecks were either late or short. And I was given more tasks than any other secretaries or clerks. More privileges was given to them: more personal paid time-off while I was getting docked for few minutes. There were even instances where I was denied meeting medical appointments in New Jersey. (I've been seeing 'therapist' and psychiatrist since May). Some clerks and even managers conspire said harassment and retaliatory actions--another hostile environment??? I even mentioned these to the company investigator whose assisting me with my case, but told he can't really do anything about it. Even brought to another department's managers' attention which led me to the company's EOCC manager. From then on, I started reporting incidents of retaliation. Even in the other building, where my manager constantly blamed me for everything. Who under-estimated and degraded me. Who was always sarcastic and disrespectful. Even told me he's going to make my life more miserable by giving me bad evaluation. And coming to EOCC was a mistake since they can't really do anything about performances. Obviously, this was retaliation even discrimination since I was the only female employee in that department. Although, I am constantly reporting incidents to the EOCC manager, nothing's being worked out with regards to my case. I even brought names of witnesses to support my allegations of retaliation and harassment and yet nothing's being done to resolve hostility in the workplace.

Unsatisfied with the company's judgment, I filed a rebuttal last July. The company were about to re-open my case in September when the company's investigator brought me to the North Brunswick police to file a criminal complaint. The case was filed and I was summoned to appear. My manager was arrested the day I filed a complaint for the reason being the company investigator got embarassed and was challenged when North Brunswick police told them how come they never did anything before. That, my manager may have good connections. [Note: the primary complaint was filed in May and it was already Sept. when the company investigator decided for me to file outside.]

During the trial, I showed up without my own legal counsel. My conception was, the 'county' will provide me some guidance and assistance. (As what North Brunswick police/investigator had told me the day I filed the complaint). I was also told by the 'Clerk of Court' that I don't need legal counsel since I was the complainant. I even seek the Prosecutor's assistance but was only denied. Anyway, the Judge seemed convinced that harassment really exist. However, when the other party's counsel asked for dismissal due to some technicalities, the Judge granted the motion. He even blamed me for signing the court document without reading. Apparently, the violation code that was assigned for 'hugging and kissing' was incorrect. The 'clerk' incorrectly copied a wrong violation code which was for 'verbal harassment'. Although, there were some 'verbal', I couldn't reason out for I don't have any legal representation and the Judge won't listen to me.

However, EOCC manager offered some assistance in seeking another job within the company, even management positions, unfortunately, these positions need relocation, yet he doesn't have the capability to hire. He even proposed that if I ever decided to seek employment outside the company, (or even when I'm already working outside) they're willing to help me. He told me they will settle the case if I agreed to accept their offer. All they wanted is for me to forget (and probably 'shut up'?) and not go through outside agencies. [EOCC and newspaper agencies?] So, what shall I do? Accept the offer? Or shall I pursue with the case? Please, I need your help!!!

A

Angelo

Wow! What an ordeal. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there! Don't give up. Slime like this guy need to be taught a lesson. I had my daughter go through self defense school when she was young. She's an attractive blonde. On time, a large older boss where she waitressed gave her a big hug and she kneed him right where it hurts. Disarming him.Told him never to touch her again. She said he left her alone after that. Take care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">