• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing landlord for back rent due to repairs in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wallybeary

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Thank you for repsonding/Reading. It is a rather long question but basically. I have been in a dulplex from last May, that needed repairs. I sent several letters and calls to her maintenance man, finally after withholding the rent and threatening to go to the township building inspenctor, the landlord had inspections done. There were serveral code violations, then she sued me for back rent. Because I didnt have the money to pay my attorney for a trial I paid her the money that was owed and in an escrow account. Now it is April, still some repair issues. I will be moving out in May. My question is can I take her so small claims court over such things as windows that leaked causing my heating bill to soar, and disrepair of the unit. IE Garbage disposal, dishwasher, didnt work. Leaks from toilets and showers, drafts from ill fitting or non exsisting inslulation.I am thinking of asking for half the rent for the 10 months that it took her to make repairs. Also for the excessive cost of my heating this winter. Thank you.

seniorjudge

wallybeary said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
Thank you for repsonding/Reading. It is a rather long question but basically. I have been in a dulplex from last May, that needed repairs. I sent several letters and calls to her maintenance man, finally after withholding the rent and threatening to go to the township building inspenctor, the landlord had inspections done. There were serveral code violations, then she sued me for back rent. Because I didnt have the money to pay my attorney for a trial I paid her the money that was owed and in an escrow account. Now it is April, still some repair issues. I will be moving out in May. My question is can I take her so small claims court over such things as windows that leaked causing my heating bill to soar, and disrepair of the unit. IE Garbage disposal, dishwasher, didnt work. Leaks from toilets and showers, drafts from ill fitting or non exsisting inslulation.I am thinking of asking for half the rent for the 10 months that it took her to make repairs. Also for the excessive cost of my heating this winter. Thank you.
Yes, you can certainly take this person to court because you can sue anyone for anything at any time any place.

Whether you win is something no one can tell you.

The judge may say, "You should've moved so you lose."

seniorjudge said:
Yes, you can certainly take this person to court because you can sue anyone for anything at any time any place.

Whether you win is something no one can tell you.

The judge may say, "You should've moved so you lose."

Or the Judge may say " The landlord should have done the repairs, you win."

You have to make the decision and you have to see if you want to go through it.

BL

It was your choice to hire an Attorney .

It wasn't nessasary .You could have called in the Build. Inspector yourself ,at NO cost .

But since you hired an a Attorney , what does He/She say you might be able to recover , if much ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">