• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anthology copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

latin

I am making a book (to sell) that is a compilation of sayings, quotes, and poems. How do I check each item to find out if it is copyrighted?

Many of the items I have collected, I don't know where they came from. These are items I have saved in a folder for years because it was a poem or something I liked. Many were passed around on emails and I have no idea where they came from.

I assume that sayings such as, "A smile is a curve that makes everything straight," would probably not be copyrighted and that quotes from our founding fathers are in public domain. What about poems that are listed in other anthologies as "unknown?"

This book will probably have a small audience of consumers and will probably be homemade with comb-binding and sold on the internet with advertizing geared toward homeschoolers.
Any advice on what I can or cannot include in this anthology?

Latin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">