• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tv damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mshields172

What is the name of your state? OH

About 6 weeks ago my son was at his friend's house during the day while I was at work. The mother was present. The boys were 12 at the time and there were several other children present as well. The children were shooting a bb gun in the house and when my son fired the gun a bb ricocheted and put a hole in the cover of a big screen tv. The mother was aware that the children were shooting the gun in the house. I was una ware of these activies until later that evening. About 2 weeks after the incident, the mother sent me a letter saying that it was going to cost $100.00 to fix the tv-this included parts, labor and pick-up. My husband and I decided to pay this because I didn't want to argue with this woman although I feel she bears responsibility for allowing these children to shoot a gun in her home. (By the way, the window got shot out the day before by another child.) About 3 weeks after we paid her the $100.00 she sent me another letter saying she needed more money. I did not respond. Today she sent me another letter stating it was going to cost $800.00 more to fix the tv. Am I responsible for the damages to the tv? Is she responsible since she was allowing the activity in her home? Thanks in advance.

BL

mshields172 said:
What is the name of your state? OH

About 6 weeks ago my son was at his friend's house during the day while I was at work. The mother was present. The boys were 12 at the time and there were several other children present as well. The children were shooting a bb gun in the house and when my son fired the gun a bb ricocheted and put a hole in the cover of a big screen tv. The mother was aware that the children were shooting the gun in the house. I was una ware of these activies until later that evening. About 2 weeks after the incident, the mother sent me a letter saying that it was going to cost $100.00 to fix the tv-this included parts, labor and pick-up. My husband and I decided to pay this because I didn't want to argue with this woman although I feel she bears responsibility for allowing these children to shoot a gun in her home. (By the way, the window got shot out the day before by another child.) About 3 weeks after we paid her the $100.00 she sent me another letter saying she needed more money. I did not respond. Today she sent me another letter stating it was going to cost $800.00 more to fix the tv. Am I responsible for the damages to the tv? Is she responsible since she was allowing the activity in her home? Thanks in advance.
Here's my opinion . Since the mother Allowed children to play with a BB gun in the House , call CPS and file a report . It's child endangerment . Your local police might be interested as well .
Keep your kid away from their kids, home, etc , and tell the mother to kiss it where the sun don't shine , you've paid a share , now it's up to them .
Your kid should not be held soley responsible for this insident .

Happy Trails

I share BL's opinion. They were aware of what was going on and you were not. If she feels that your son is solely responsible, let her take you to small claims court and try to convince the judge of that.

Good luck.

badapple40

Also you can argue that you've already settled this case with her for $100, which she accepted. If you were REALLY smart, you'd have written on the check something like "pd. if full for son's tv damage." But hindsight is 20/20.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">