• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trees on sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elenajfr

What is the name of your state? california

Hi,
I have 4 huge pine trees on the sidewalk in front of my house. ( los angeles )
I just bought the house and those trees were never trimed or pruned and they are in pretty bad shape.

I want to know who is responsible to take care of those trees, me or the city ?

If it's me, can I just cut them since I don't have enought money to do the triming every 3 month ( they are probably like 35ft tall ) ?
I know that all my neighbors would be upset if I cut them, can they go after me with the homeowners association ?

thanks

elenajfr said:

Hi,
I just bought the house and those trees were never trimed or pruned and they are in pretty bad shape.

If it's me, can I just cut them since I don't have enought money to do the triming every 3 month ( they are probably like 35ft tall ) ?
I know that all my neighbors would be upset if I cut them, can they go after me with the homeowners association ?

thanks

You are going to go out there with a chain saw and cut down 4 huge 35ft tall pine trees? In Los Angeles? Have you given any thought to where these trees will fall when they come crashing to the ground?

divgradcurl

elenajfr said:

Hi,

thanks
Check with the City to find out who is responsible. Many Cities also have ordinances covering the removal of trees, and you might have to get a permit to remove the trees. If you have a HOA, they also might require you to obtain permission from the HOA before you remove the trees.

elenajfr

of course I wasn't going to do it myself ! Are you crazy!
no, I plan to hire a tree service contractor but since they sometimes don't really know the law...
thank you very much for your advice to contact the HOA, they should know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">