• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Arrest Charges Dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alwaysquestion

We have a small trucking company. WE leased to a trucking comapny out of Tennessee. They had us running the US signing other peoples names to get fuel and other illegal activities. On July 4th we were in Lodi Ohio with a load going to Pennsylvania. We were told the company we were leased to was broke, deliver the load we had and get home to Alabama the best way we could. WE brought the load home. The trailer was leased from the company we were running for. We had a notarized contract. These people convinced the DA in Dickson Tn. to issue a warrant for my husband's arrest within 2 days of us comig home. We had called these people but they refused to talk with us. To make a long story short on July 6th a warrant was issued in Tennessee for "theft of property". They faxed a copy to the city police in Alabama (we do not live in city limits). The city came out and picked my husband up around 6:30 pm on July 6th. The city of Dickson arrived to pick him up around 2:00 am on July 7th. He was never once read his rights, even though he was questioned by 3 different police departments, he never got to appear before a judge in Alabama before he was "extradited" to Tennessee. They never went through proper procedure for extradition, they just came and got him. The charges were dismissed for "lack of jurisdiction" on October 17th with the preliminary hearing. The preliminary hearing was continued from August22 until September 26th allowing us time to get a lawyer. It was then continued for another 3 weeks because the DA was sick, then the judge could not decide what to do. If it was bound over to the grand jury and went before a jury, they would clearly find my husband not guilty. They had botched things up so bad. There was no crime commited in Dickson Tn as stated on the arrest warrant and the judge clearly knew this. The trailer was not stolen it was leased to us. This was clearly a "civil matter" although the DA issued the warrant. I know that my husband "civil rights" were violated. He was taken away from his home state without due process of the law. Tennessee had no jurisdiction to even issue a warrant for his arrest. What actions can we take against all the people involved. Would Tennessee coming to get my husband, with there being no crime commited in Tennessee not be "kidnapping" and detaining unlawfully.
I need a good lawyer in Alabama to get this matter handled. This has caused us great emabarrassment and humiliation. Mental stress and expenses. This has hurt our business, we have lost some of our equipment because the company we were leased to that had my husband arrested owe us $22,000.00
What rights do we have. I want all these people to pay for the suffering and mental anquish we have suffered.

Elizabeth
Marshall County Alabama

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">