• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Voyer Next Door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamiimaj

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My insane neighbor has been unhappy since we moved in in Jan. We have a common driveway and the prior owners of our home did not drive, so he's been "king of the drive" for awhile. Well, the bottom line is, he doesn't like to share and he continues to find problems with us (Our dog bothers him from inside the fence, the car is too close to his side, etc.)
He has decided to be as unfriendly as possible and does things like put obstacles (his favorite is an ice chest with rocks balanced along the bottom in case someone moves it) on his side of the drive. This assures that we will have to juggle vehicles to get a car out rather than scoot out of the garage using his side when his cars are gone. This is fine...obnoxious, but fine.
NOW, he has mounted a camera to the outside of his garage and focused it on our property. I don't know why...maybe to be sure we don't use his side...maybe to "flex" at us...I don't know.
I would like to know a couple of things. 1. Is it legal for him to video us on our own property/or our property? and 2. What sort of fun can I have w/ in the confines of the law? I would like to give this guy something to tape!
ANY advice and/or ideas welcome!What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

jamiimaj said:
I would like to know a couple of things. 1. Is it legal for him to video us on our own property/or our property?
As long as he does not invade your privacy yes, it's legal. And before you say it, you have no expectation of privacy outside.
and 2. What sort of fun can I have w/ in the confines of the law? I would like to give this guy something to tape!
ANY advice and/or ideas welcome!What is the name of your state?
Flip him off.

Now, is the driveway 1/2 owned by each or is there an easement?

jamiimaj

more on video neighbor

I believe there is a property line down the middle. I would have to have it surveyd. Flipping off is ok, I was thinking about taking up naked raking. Is this legal if I'm on my own property?

If its possible why not get a chain link fence and put a tarp on it or get the link fence with the metal inserts and put that up. May cost you a lil but of money but less dealings with the neighbor

jamiimaj

fence is up

We had the same thoughts. I wanted to spend our small budget on insulation, but we figured we'd avoid confrontation if we built a privacy fence. (Even though we just installed the chain link before we moved in.) We built a wood fence so they don't have to look at us or our dogs.

bdancer

How about taking up a mime act? You know how annoying they are. You could stand in his video view and do the caught in a box thing or pulling a rope.

Then of course there's always the silly dance ....

Just Blue

jamiimaj said:
I believe there is a property line down the middle. I would have to have it surveyd. Flipping off is ok, I was thinking about taking up naked raking. Is this legal if I'm on my own property?

Yes that would be illegal....BUT you could wear a Speedo...That is acually more offensive!! Do you have a big ole beer gut??...Lots of back hair??...Unsightly pimples on your ass?? The more gross the better...Have at it!! :cool:

ambrelite

This is simple.
Why don't you put up a camera facing his direction too?
If he complains, tell him you will take yours down
if he takes his down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">