• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steve100

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hi,
I have a lawyer handling my case. I found out that the defendents that i'm suing, my lawyer went and talked to them without telling me and nor i have know idea if their lawyer was present. If their lawyer was not present at that meeting, Can my lawyer do this without telling me? I would appreciate any kind help on this matter, thanks!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Steve100 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hi,
I have a lawyer handling my case. I found out that the defendents that i'm suing, my lawyer went and talked to them without telling me and nor i have know idea if their lawyer was present. If their lawyer was not present at that meeting, Can my lawyer do this without telling me? I would appreciate any kind help on this matter, thanks!
Of course your attorney can go talk to them, with or without their attorney present.

badapple40

BelizeBreeze said:
Of course your attorney can go talk to them, with or without their attorney present.
No he cannot, unless their attorney gives permission for him to talk to them without him present. For the OP: the issue here is not that he talked to them without your permission (that is fine). The issue that arises is if he talked to them without their attorney present or without his permission.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/rules/prof_conduct/index.html

Rule 4.2. Communication with Person Represented by Counsel

In representing a client, a lawyer shall not communicate about the subject of the representation with a person the lawyer knows to be represented by another lawyer in the matter, unless the lawyer has the consent of the other lawyer or is authorized by law or a court order.

Amended Sep. 30, 2004, effective Jan. 1, 2005.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">