• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Well... Pipe dispute. Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hldyrchnp

What is the name of your state? NC

My husband bought a home/property 11 years ago which has a well on the property. We live in the city limits, use and pay monthly for city water services. The well is not used at all, it was already here on property when my husband bought the property. In the fall of 2004, the well had a busted pipe and water was accumulating and spreading ontop of ground. My husband had gotten permission from the city to fix the underground cracked pipe, since the city had checked and said it was not their line/pipe that was leaking out the water. Cost my husband $300.00.

Two weeks ago it seems that the pipe/line has another crack and water is accumulating and sreading ontop of the ground again. We had a new survey of our property done, we had found out that the well is on our property but, the 60 ft. length pipe/line is on neighbor's property along with some of the city pipe/line. The neighbor is selling her parcel of land and wants the cracked pipe/line fixed or she is going bring a lawsuit of property damages against us. The neighbor had already sent out a contractor that she had chosen to see about fixing the cracked pipe/line. The contractor had asked for our permission to run a line through our well and see if the pipe/line is stopped up or cracked. That is all we gave permission for her contractor to do. We told her contractor if we had to pay for the total cost(s) to fix the pipe/line then, we would contract someone that we want to fix the pipe/line. The neighbor's contractor told us that his cost could run from $600.00 to $800.00 to fix problem. We was trying to be amicable and offer to pay for half of the cost(s) with the neighbor but, she is not willing to do this...all she tells us is she is taking us to court and we are going to pay her for property damages and total cost(s) to fix pipe/line.

My questions... are we liable for property damage when cracked pipe/line is on her property?
Are we responsible for the total cost(s) of fixing the crack pipe/line? or do we just have to pay for half of the cost(s) for fixing the pipe/line?
If we have to fix the crack pipe/line, can we chose our own contractor, who is cheaper in price, then the contractor who the neighbor wants to use to fix pipe/line?
Do we have any legal course of action against the neighbor too?
What are any legal options available for us to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but, was trying to throw in all information. I'm new on this forum and I had read many threads/posts/replies but, was unable to find info. regarding something like my mention land problem dispute.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">