• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foundation / pier hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sickNtired123

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My house is 11 years old. I noticed over the past few years my floor sinking so yesterday we get under the house and discover.....pier #1 has a hollow area underneath it and its leaning towards the back yard. Peir #2 is also leaning that way. The floor has now dropped more then an inch. The piers are not evenly spaced, should be 8 ft on center and Pier #1 in over 9 1/2 feet from the block foundation. Does anyone know if the builder did not follow codes. could he be held accountable for the correcting the situation?

John Se

Your Problem

are you in a high groundwater area?, piers do move and sink, 11 year old house is your problem not the builders. You need to dig and poor more concrete.

weenor

You are probably too late to go after the builder, but always consult a local attorney. Most importantly get a structural engineer out to your house to view the piers and give you independent advice. Do not go to a construction company first...there are usually several solutions to these problems and the best person to know will be the structural engineer (just make sure he's not trying to sell you the repair service too.)

HomeGuru

sickNtired123 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
My house is 11 years old. I noticed over the past few years my floor sinking so yesterday we get under the house and discover.....pier #1 has a hollow area underneath it and its leaning towards the back yard. Peir #2 is also leaning that way. The floor has now dropped more then an inch. The piers are not evenly spaced, should be 8 ft on center and Pier #1 in over 9 1/2 feet from the block foundation. Does anyone know if the builder did not follow codes. could he be held accountable for the correcting the situation?
**A: you need to hire a geotechnical engineer. That is your first step.

punkin

we had a similiar problem years back. we contacted The Residential Home Builders Commission in our state and found that our home had not been built according to code or even common sense, the pilings that our home were seated on were not even set in concrete. i hope you get this resolved..we have been there..it took us 4 yrs but we won in the end.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">