• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

threcats

I've not been paid overtime for over two years! I was an assistant manager for a large West coast autoparts chain in Washington. About two years ago they changed our pay status from salary to hourly and said that instead of "time and a half" we would get "half time". At the time I figured that half was better than nothing and went about my business. After that time I started seeing my work week get longer and longer. As a salaried employee I worked an abverage of 45 hrs. As a hourly employee I my weeks streched out to 60 and 70 hrs. Now I've been told that CSK's "half time" pratice might have been illegal. Is this true and if so what do I do about it?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Unless specifically exempted, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay. There is no limit in the Act on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. The Act does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, as such.

Here is the link for the above information:
http://www.dol.gov/dol/esa/public/whd_org.htm

What do you do: get all your timesheets together as far back as you can and then go seek an employment labor law attorney. Try either http://www.attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">