• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Tree Issue!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnetteG

New Jersey here!

I read the two postings on tree problems. What I need to know, does the law vary from state to state?

My neighbors planted a gorgeous, October Glory Maple about 10 yrs ago. It is now HUGE and unfortunately for the tree, they don't take care of their property. I do. The roots are crawling across the top of the lawn to get to my place, their source of water and food and God knows what is going on below... but it is heading for my pool (above ground surrounded by deck) and my underground water sprinkler system.

When I mow, I am tearing into these surface roots which are now like 5-6" in diameter. My neighbor sarcastically stated he would put dirt on them to cover them on my side. Ugh... I don't want dirt.. that isn't going to stop their travels.
What do I do? I suppose after reading the other posts, at my expense, I need hire an arborist.. right? This isn't fair... oh.. and there is another one exactly like it way in the back off my property but killing all the grasses back there... help!!What is the name of your state?

lwpat

In a similar situation I rented a trencher at the local rent all and cut a three foot deep trench and installed a sheet metal barrier and landscape timbers along the property line. End of problem.

AnnetteG

trencher?

A trencer eh? But what do I do about the roots that are already over here by 5-6 feet and crawling on the surface at an alarming rate?

Should I cut them and then trench? I can't trench to where they stop because I am sure by now they are butting up against my pool and sprinkler system... thanks!
Annette

justalayman

AnnetteG said:
A trencer eh? But what do I do about the roots that are already over here by 5-6 feet and crawling on the surface at an alarming rate?

Should I cut them and then trench? I can't trench to where they stop because I am sure by now they are butting up against my pool and sprinkler system... thanks!
Annette
Just make sure the trencher is tough enough to handle the size of roots you have. Once you trim them puppies,(at the property line) they will die. Although you will still have to dig out the surface roots, those underground will simply return to the earth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">