• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment at the mall, guy thought I stole something

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheJonAlter

What is the name of your state? California

I was at the mall, at a shoe store that will remain anonymous. Anyway, to make a long story short, I wanted to exchange a pair of shorts for a different color, but my receipt showed that I purchased them 2 months ago, and their return/exchange policy is 45 days. The guy wouldn't let me exchange them. I started getting angry because this is not the first time I've done it, and usually they don't even question it and let me do it anyway. But, their store return policy is 45 days so he didn't have to exchange them for me. Anyway, I'm pretty mad and I leave the store, and he follows me out. It looked like I put a pair of shoe laces into my pocket, but I didn't. He thought I did, and immediately tells me "STOP, PUT THAT BACK". I tell him "no, I didn't steal anything" and he proceeds to put his hands in my hooded sweater pocket to try to grab the item that he thought I put in.

At this point I'm FURIOUS. I knew for a fact that he didn't have the right to search my person (maybe he had the right to search my bag, I dunno).

I tell him to call security, and they tell me that the only thing I can do is file a complaint by calling the shoe store's 1-800 number and if I wanted to further pursue this, to file a civil lawsuit on the company (since employees represent the company as a whole).

I am really contemplating pursuing litigation, perhaps for harassment? Is this a valid claim? What do you guys think? Anyone hear of anybody in a similiar predicament as mine?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get.

JETX

Not only is this a DUPLICATE post (as noted), but the idiot has decided to 'forget' the most damning part of his post:
"I see him following behind me so I made it seem like I put a pair of shoes laces in my pocket"!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">