• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

True story: need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexandra1710

What is the name of your state? California

I went to a store yesterday at Valley fair.
The gentleman(manager( of the store was very rude.
I was going to rent a tuxedo for my son. I was told that I needed to pay the full amount now. He got all mad when I asked him a few questions. Then he agreed to take a deposit of 20 dollars.
He asked me to sign a paper. I asked him what I was signing and he got very abusive.
I asked him what would happen if the Tuxedo would not fit my son.He told me that I would lose the all amount with no refund.
So I decided to cancel the transaction and ask for my 20 dollars back.

He refused. After that,I decided to leave and he chased me in the Mall and grabbed my receipt and contract that I signed. He forced his way...
I went back to his counter and he decided to give me the 20 dollars back. He realised that he made a mistake.

I told him that I would report him to his company and the Mall security.
He got all mad and use all the f... words.. he said that he would beat me up if he was not in the store.

I left all freaked out. And went to the mall manager to report him.
A report was made.

Now my question is? should I do a police report? I am afraid that this guy is gone come to my house. he has my address,phone number and credit card details.
I am scared to go back to that mall.
What can I do? Can I sue the store? I am the type of person who sues people.But i need to make a point to that store.

Thank you

JETX

alexandra1710 said:
Now my question is? should I do a police report?
Go ahead and contact the police if you want...... but, based on your post, I see an ignorant store manager but doubt that any laws were broken.

What can I do? Can I sue the store? I am the type of person who sues people.But i need to make a point to that store.
Is this a local store?? If so, forget about it and move on.
If a chain store, contact the chain and let them know of your experience.

rmet4nzkx

I believe there may have been some communication problems and assumptions.

If you feel threatened, make a police report and they can advise you the process for obtaining a restraining order,or go here http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/protection/civharassqna.htm. Making a police report will at least provide documentation should you be dealing with a mentally unstable store manager and not a communication problem. Depending on the facts there may be a charge to file a Civil Harassment restraining order that would exceed the cost of Tux rental. Contacting the headquarters for the store chain is an excellent idea, you can look up their contact information on the internet.

Practical advice:
You have waited pretty late in Prom season to be reserving a Tux, for that reason, it is not unusual to be required to pay in full when reserving a Tux even though there are several places to rent formal wear, pickings can be slim if your son is hard to fit, therefore it is reasonable to bring him with you so he can be measured and the correct size can be reserved.

Proms can be very hard on formal wear, often they are damaged in the after prom party, that can result in additional charges, so don't be surprised.

As the mother to boys I give you this advice although it may be a little late for this year. Buy your son a (used) tux, a formal shirt, tie and jewlery, they will pay for themselves after about 2 rentals. Used formal wear is a great bargin and can be customized with their own shirt, tie etc. Also they are more likely to take care of it at the parties if it is their's you also won't have to deal with store managers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">