• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the easement yours??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sc2359

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and I are in negotiations to purchase a piece of property. The property survey says that there is a 15-foot ingress/egress for access to the property. The actual wording on the survey says "together with an easement for ingress and egress." There is no property behind this property and both of the properties on either side have their own driveways and accesses. Since this easement is in place solely to allow access to this particular property, how would one find out if we would br able to pave it and make a cement driveway across it? I don't know whether it is safe to assume you can, or if a title search, or something else is the key to find out the answer. Thanks for whatever information can be offered!!

John Se

easement

an easement is your interest in someone elses property. so to pave it you must get the owners permission.

efflandt

sc2359 said:
The property survey says that there is a 15-foot ingress/egress for access to the property. The actual wording on the survey says "together with an easement for ingress and egress." There is no property behind this property...
Is that property at the edge of the world (the earth is no longer flat)? Are you certain that is not an easement across that property to access property behind it. Unless you need an easement to cross someone elses property to get to that property, I would get a clearification about who the easement is for and why.

My property has an easement for an alleyway, but my home was built in 1910 and it does not look like an alley ever existed (I do have a telephone pole in my back yard and the alleyway does show on a FEMA map I checked to make sure I was not in a flood plain).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">