• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another used car sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spartan1980

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My wife sold her 86 Chevy Blazer on March 3 for $2000, soon after the woman who bought it called and said repairs were totaling $1000. My wife offered to take the vehicle back but the woman "really wants to keep it" and against my advice my wife gave her $1000 back with a signed "no more liability" statement. I guess she took pity on her, I think she was taken advantage of.

Anyway, the woman called today (April 8, over 30 days from sale) and said the rear axle broke and she wants all her money back or we will go to court. I believe she has no case but would like some reassurance.

Happy Trails

Spartan1980 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My wife sold her 86 Chevy Blazer on March 3 for $2000, soon after the woman who bought it called and said repairs were totaling $1000. My wife offered to take the vehicle back but the woman "really wants to keep it" and against my advice my wife gave her $1000 back with a signed "no more liability" statement. I guess she took pity on her, I think she was taken advantage of.

Anyway, the woman called today (April 8, over 30 days from sale) and said the rear axle broke and she wants all her money back or we will go to court. I believe she has no case but would like some reassurance.
She bought herself a vehicle that now has a rear axle broken. Her problem, not yours.

teflon_jones

You don't owe her anything. She's already taken advantage of your wife for the $1000 that should have been yours. Now she smells a sucker.

Spartan1980

Thank you for the responses but I'm still a little worried because maybe I didn't give enough details. The vehicle, according to the buyer, never passed inspection even after they had done repairs totaling $1000. Is this an issue or is 30 days the cut-off point in Massachusetts?? And since we offered to buy the vehicle back before any repairs were made, would we still be liable for the failure to pass??

S

shell007

Spartan1980 said:
Thank you for the responses but I'm still a little worried because maybe I didn't give enough details. The vehicle, according to the buyer, never passed inspection even after they had done repairs totaling $1000. Is this an issue or is 30 days the cut-off point in Massachusetts?? And since we offered to buy the vehicle back before any repairs were made, would we still be liable for the failure to pass??
If you sold the vehicle with an "as is NO WARRANTY"...you have nothing to worry about. The buyer had every opportunity to get the vehicle inspected PRIOR to purchase. She didn't, so...her loss.

Get some sleep!!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">