• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrasment/Can I be fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rvrrun

This is going to be long, but I want to make sure I don’t leave out any of the facts. There are a couple of different problems that are all linked to the supervisors over me.

I work for a major international corporation in the entertainment industry as a graphic artist. There are approx. 30 employees in my department with one manager and two supervisors under her. One of these is my supervisor, referred to from here as Bob. To start the story, I filed a complaint against Bob in July for, verbal harassment, with HR. During the incident, Bob stated that I was going to be transferred under him and when I was he would "fix my attitude" along with many other colorful phrases and threatened to take me outside and "kick my a--". He made comments to others after stating that he would not allow me to transfer or get a promotion and would make sure that no one else allowed me to. All of this happened in front of others at the office. At the time I did not know that the department was being reorganized or that he would be my manager. An investigation pursued and an apology was made to me but I still feel uncomfortable around him. When the smoke had cleared from this incident, I was transferred, lost my office and was moved to a cubicle. Now, anytime we have to meet I feel terribly uncomfortable and it seems as if he does also.

This brings us to my question. When I was transferred, he wanted to learn more about my position. During a meeting together he stated that because of the dept change He was trying to get me a raise for doing work that was outside of my job description (animation) and that it would be retroactive to 8/01/2000, the date he took over the department. I just found out that a job requiring animation is coming up and went in to inquire about the raise. He said that he had reconsidered and that he didn’t feel the type of work I was doing warranted a raise. Can I refuse to do this type of work if I am not being compensated and it is not in my job description?

One other problem I have had recently is with HR. I referred an employee and my company gives a bonus for a referral. They are refusing to pay because I wasn’t listed on the employee’s application but I was. The HR employee said that he spoke with the person that I referred and he said I never referred him. After I found this out I spoke to my friend (the referral) and he stated that he never said "I wasn’t referred by him" and that the HR employee had never even talked to him. This is the same HR employee that investigated the problem with Bob.

I know I can quit, or that I can be fired because of right to work, but I have been here for two years, am happy here with exception of these problems and have purchased a house in the area because I thought I would be working here for a while. I don’t know if I am being discriminated against but it definitely feels like it.

Thanks for any help,

MS

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Please repost a little shorter. You might find some of the stuff you wrote isn't needed for us to answer.

R

rvrrun

There were actually two questions in there, hence the length of the post.

1. Can I be forced to perform duties outside of my job description and not be compensated?

2. Do you think I am being descriminated against?

Thank You,

MS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">