• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor claiming my trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thomas53

What is the name of your state? Pa. I am planning on cutitng some timber on my property. My neighbor is claiming that some of the trees are on his property. If I cut the trees and he sues me who has to prove where the property line is? My property has been surveyed a long time ago but you can not find the corner in question but the boundry side in question runs in a straight line. He is insisting that the line makes a turn.

lfr

You need to look up your state law on timber harvesting, but to give an example, in the state of Oregon if you cut timber you are responsible to know where the line is OR you can be held liable for treble damages for the worth of the timber PLUS what ever else they want.

By knowing prior to cutting, there is a dispute, I would be sure to get a survey. Look up and see what company originally did the survey and you might be able to get it done cheaper if thay already are familiar with the work done, and have them flag the property. If you don't know who did it call the county survey office.

Hope that helps.

ENASNI

lfr said:
You need to look up your state law on timber harvesting, but to give an example, in the state of Oregon if you cut timber you are responsible to know where the line is OR you can be held liable for treble damages for the worth of the timber PLUS what ever else they want.

By knowing prior to cutting, there is a dispute, I would be sure to get a survey. Look up and see what company originally did the survey and you might be able to get it done cheaper if thay already are familiar with the work done, and have them flag the property. If you don't know who did it call the county survey office.

Hope that helps.

Nobody better cut down MY trees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">