• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to get money back from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KReed

What is the name of your state? VA

I was dating a guy who was down on his luck. I helped him out and every time I did, he said that he would pay me back as soon as he got himself together. Well, we broke up and now he owes me $10,000. I don't have much proof except pieces of a paper that said that he owed me $1,200 (he tore it up) and a few recordings. On one, when I ask him if he's going to pay me back, he says that he can't, because he doesn't have any money. On the same recording, he says that he wants to get together and set up a "base price" (his words) and start paying on it. In almost the same breath he says he's going to help me with my bills like the Discover Card he helped charge up. On a more recent recording, he says that he's not going to pay anything, because he doesn't have anything and that I knew that he couldn't pay it back. He doesn't deny owing me, but instead tells me to take him to court.

Will my case even get through the front door? What's the best I can hope for?

dcatz

Well you can't collect anything like that amount in Small Claims in your state. Why not retain a professional collection attorney who will work on a contingent basis? Maybe with some discovery - like when and how much went into your friend's bank account and what could have been the source at the time - you stand a better chance.

Maybe he can't afford to contest and you get a default judgment.

No one is judgment proof - even if your friend thinks he is.

Last edited:

fairisfair

KReed said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I was dating a guy who was down on his luck. I helped him out and every time I did, he said that he would pay me back as soon as he got himself together. Well, we broke up and now he owes me $10,000. I don't have much proof except pieces of a paper that said that he owed me $1,200 (he tore it up) and a few recordings. On one, when I ask him if he's going to pay me back, he says that he can't, because he doesn't have any money. On the same recording, he says that he wants to get together and set up a "base price" (his words) and start paying on it. In almost the same breath he says he's going to help me with my bills like the Discover Card he helped charge up. On a more recent recording, he says that he's not going to pay anything, because he doesn't have anything and that I knew that he couldn't pay it back. He doesn't deny owing me, but instead tells me to take him to court.

Will my case even get through the front door? What's the best I can hope for?
$10,000??? how could you let it get to the point where someone owed you $10,000?? you say that you have a paper saying he owes you $1200, so when he didn't pay that back, you figured, what? he would be a good bet for another loan?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">