• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help....Divorcing Husband who is an Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Epiphany

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Husband and I are separated, dissolution will be filed today or tomorrow....my question is another attorney who has an "Of Counsel" relationship within my soon to be ex's office is handling two cases for me......what is my best course of action to see that these cases are handled properly. My first instinct, as the separation and impending divorce is turning very ugly, is to pull the cases and warn the attorney that no further information is to be shared with my husband. Any opionions?

badapple40

There are so many issues here, it isn't even funny.

The "of counsel" has an imputed disqualification from handling your case. Did they inform you of the conflict of interest and ask for a waiver?

If not, you need to call him up, and tell him that you are going to report him, and the husband to the bar. Then do it. Also file something with the court, asking it to hold proceedings until you can retain new counsel, and then get a new lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">