• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lying roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvwindnhair

What is the name of your state? California I recently shared a home with another single mom. When we moved in she did not have the deposit, and I did. From my family. So I gave $1000.00 of my money to the landlord. The landlord said they were going to keep everything "down the middle" to stay out of any issues that may arise between roommate and I. We all agreed, then. When we all moved out 6 months later...the landlord divided the deposit in 1/2 and sent $500.00 to roommate, when she never gave any of that in the first place. So now the roommate wont send me the $500.00. She states that she did not move in for 2 weeks, and that money was owed to her in the first place, due to her rent never being pro rated. So my question is...do I go after the landlord for giving my deposit $ to R.M. or do I try to convince a judge that the $ came from me and was givin to "her", and needs to returned to me? Do I stand a chance in proving this? I have family that will confirm the loan to me to move.

badapple40

What does your lease say about the security deposit?

I think there are grounds to argue that the landlord is to blame as well.

Happy Trails

The landlord said they were going to keep everything "down the middle" to stay out of any issues that may arise between roommate and I. We all agreed, then.
This statement may release the landlord of any liability.

Sue the roommate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">