• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sitbck

What is the name of your state? MI

I had laminate floor installed by a contractor and the work was very poor. I told the contractor I want a full refund of the money or he would have to re-install the floor correctly. He said the work meets industry standards and he will not accept those terms. I have a contract that says the contractor has to install the floor to my approval. I also have had 4 different contractors look at the floor and they all said the workmanship was horrible and incorrect. Since I have already paid the full amount is their anything I can do? Will this hold up in court? If I win what is the best way to collect? What if the contractor refuses to pay?

Thanks.

S

shell007

Sitbck said:
What is the name of your state? MI

I had laminate floor installed by a contractor and the work was very poor. I told the contractor I want a full refund of the money or he would have to re-install the floor correctly. He said the work meets industry standards and he will not accept those terms. I have a contract that says the contractor has to install the floor to my approval. I also have had 4 different contractors look at the floor and they all said the workmanship was horrible and incorrect. Since I have already paid the full amount is their anything I can do? Will this hold up in court? If I win what is the best way to collect? What if the contractor refuses to pay?

Thanks.
Duplicate post.

BL

At any rate , what have you to support your claim ? You say 4 contractors say other wise , but what have you in writing ???? Presumably RRR certified mail to the original contractor .

Back up your claim , and go from there . not by he said she said .

Sitbck

Blonde Lebinese said:
At any rate , what have you to support your claim ? You say 4 contractors say other wise , but what have you in writing ???? Presumably RRR certified mail to the original contractor .

Back up your claim , and go from there . not by he said she said .
I have a contract that states the contractor will provide a warranty for workmanship. I also sent a formal letter to the contractor explaining the issues I have. Would a written statement from other building contractors hold up in court?

R

ronda_jeremy

Sitbck said:
I have a contract that states the contractor will provide a warranty for workmanship. I also sent a formal letter to the contractor explaining the issues I have. Would a written statement from other building contractors hold up in court?
Dang it! If only IAAL were around to help. That guy is brilliant but seems to have "disappeared".

S

shell007

ronda_jeremy said:
Dang it! If only IAAL were around to help. That guy is brilliant but seems to have "disappeared".
IAAL got booted a couple of days ago. Seems like maybe again more recently.

R

ronda_jeremy

shellandty said:
IAAL got booted a couple of days ago. Seems like maybe again more recently.
My point, exactly. Have you noted the sudden surge of "newbies"? They all seem relatively bright and well mannered. Possibly IAAL in disguise? I think so.

justalayman

ronda_jeremy said:
My point, exactly. Have you noted the sudden surge of "newbies"? They all seem relatively bright and well mannered. Possibly IAAL in disguise? I think so.
Now why would he do that? If he wanted to be good, all he had to do was be good. He didn't need to change his tag to do that.

While I enjoyed many of his posts, he did go "over the top" sometimes. It is a shame though, he is an obviously intelligent and educated man and was very helpful when he wanted to be. I actually like knowing when he was posting. It let you know if the advice was trustworthy or BS. While he may have been, uh, evil, cruel, mean, degrading, racist, sexist etc., I don't remember him give bad or misleadingly wrong advice when he actually did give advice.

The other thing is many of the senior's seem to be MIA.

to the OP: take the contractors with you if at all possible. Grab the guy from where you got it that told you it was a poor install too. It is much better if the judge can query the guests rather than accepting some written statement.

Go to your small claims court (or online if it is) and get whatever literature you can concerning small claims court. They often explain things like your questions.

S

shell007

ronda_jeremy said:

I disagree. IAAL will never show as a bright AND well mannered poster. Bright YES, well mannered NO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">