• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

building without permit liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macbar

What is the name of your state? California, Los angeles
I (home owner) added on to my house without a permit and hired a friend to perform the construction who is not a licenced contractor, more of a part time handyman. I wasn't sure about property line issues and or set back issues which my friend said might be a problem but wasn't sure either. I went ahead anyway. There were no plans or contracts. Two months later after most of the work was done, building and safety sends me a letter to tear down or comply. Is my friend, who i hired liable? If so how?What is the name of your state?

John Se

You are liable

why would you think otherwise?, they were buildingunder you direction. Pretty easy, tear down or comply. Your gonna have fun now, The citys treat BWOP's like vermin and justifiably so.

nextwife

Basically you acted as your own general and subbed out the work to him. As YOU were really nrunning the show, it was YOUR responsibility to act with due diligence. Spending money to add on, without first getting permits and a survey (to make certain you did not construct across easement and/or setback lines is a foolish, expensive mistake. One "saves" no money by failing to do things "right" from the start. Tearing down to correct a misplaced addition is far more expensive that simply building with benefit of survey right off the bat.

I am sure that you KNEW a permit was required and you knew that you were possibly violating setbacks. You can only blame yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">