• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security deposit question....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jinx369

What is the name of your state? FL

i moved in with my boyfriend at the time about 2 years ago. we signed a 2 year lease. well about 5 months into the lease he decided to break up. i moved out since i would not be able to afford the house alone. the security deposit on the house is mine. i paid for all initial moving in expenses. the lease is coming to an end at the end of april. i would like to get my security deposit back from my ex. can i take him to small claims court for this? the amount is $700 and i do have a copy of the cancelled check. thanks. :confused:

ENASNI

jinx369 said:
What is the name of your state? FL

i moved in with my boyfriend at the time about 2 years ago. we signed a 2 year lease. well about 5 months into the lease he decided to break up. i moved out since i would not be able to afford the house alone. the security deposit on the house is mine. i paid for all initial moving in expenses. the lease is coming to an end at the end of april. i would like to get my security deposit back from my ex. can i take him to small claims court for this? the amount is $700 and i do have a copy of the cancelled check. thanks. :confused:

Hallo there young heartbreaker, there are a lot more denominators going on here. Did you leave him alone in that 2 year lease making him pay all alone? Did you leave the landlords in a lurch where they had to scramble for new tenants? Where either of you entitled to the security Deposit back at all?

jinx369

security deposit..

well i did leave him alone to pay the rent on the house. we agreed upon that.. that he would stay and i would go.. the landlord would not allow my name to be removed off of the lease paperwork. he (my ex) and i signed an agreement stating that he would assume full responsibility for the rent payment as i was moving out as a result of the termination of our relationship. at the end of the lease we would be entitled to a refund of the security deposit after the landlord looked over the home. he is however not moving out of the house and is going to continue to live there after the lease has expired. i did not request he pay me the security deposit before since my name was still on the lease and if he defaulted then i would still be responsible for rent payments. but now that the lease is over i feel that i should get my money back since i am not involved.

BL

Prove the lease was not automatically renewable ( in both your names ) , and prove you paid the security deposit .

ENASNI

legally... um... not my thing really, but morally, you did screw him over. I say you deserve nada..

Good thing you did the thing in writing though.

Wait for other answers though, you might get the one you want. :confused:

BL

ENASNI said:
legally... um... not my thing really, but morally, you did screw him over. I say you deserve nada..

Good thing you did the thing in writing though.

Wait for other answers though, you might get the one you want. :confused:

And Jusus walked on ice now , instead of water . Or wait ice IS frozen water ..

ENASNI

Blonde Lebinese said:
And Jusus walked on ice now , instead of water . Or wait ice IS frozen water ..

You cannot wait for Easter can you Sir Blonde, you must be craving those marshmallow Peeps. :p

BL

ENASNI said:
You cannot wait for Easter can you Sir Blonde, you must be craving those marshmallow Peeps. :p
I don't know what or who I'm waiting for , but I'd kiss my security deposit bye bye .. :D

jinx369

security deposit...

well i don't really think i screwed him over.. it is more like he screwed me over.. i was the one who had to move out and find a new apartment and put down another security deposit.. he was the one who broke up with me.. i tried to work it out with him and he did not want to.. so what was i supposed to do live in a house with my daughter and his 2 kids and him for 2 years and have it be like an ice box constantly and be stuck taking care of his kids so he could goto work and out drinking and doing whatever else with the other woman when he got off work at night.. and for what. so i could be morally correct?? HA!!! i'll just take my chances at small claims court..

BL

jinx369 said:
well i don't really think i screwed him over.. it is more like he screwed me over.. i was the one who had to move out and find a new apartment and put down another security deposit.. he was the one who broke up with me.. i tried to work it out with him and he did not want to.. so what was i supposed to do live in a house with my daughter and his 2 kids and him for 2 years and have it be like an ice box constantly and be stuck taking care of his kids so he could goto work and out drinking and doing whatever else with the other woman when he got off work at night.. and for what. so i could be morally correct?? HA!!! i'll just take my chances at small claims court..
If it's any conselation Fl. babe BTDT sorta . I'd chalk it up to live n learn , but if ya gotta promisary note , , and ya think ya can collect n it , more power to ya fiesty ..:D Knock m out ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">