• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Melodee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You locked your thread so that no one can answer it.

I was layed off from a job in January 24,2005.SInce than I have filled out numerous application and faxed numerous resumes and either I received no response or I received we can not hire you, without a reason.Recently I had a very potential job offer and after the interview I kept being put off,so i finally was notified that they choose someone else.So I also found out with anonymous source, that my previous employer had put a "warning on my file" the only warning I knew about stemed from an incident where I fell asleep on the line,and I told my boss that I had been at the emergency all night with my step-son's daughter and I told him I knew if I had missed work he would be angry so I came to work,he had me sign a paper that he had talked to me and I told him I really didn't feel this was right but I still had to sign the paper.So the question is this:since all potential employers see this and refuse to hire me, is this considered blackballing? and if the answer is yes, what are my rights,in other words what can I do about this?What is the name of your state?

No, this is not considered blackballing. First of all, it is quite unlikely that potential employers have seen the paper you signed; employers do NOT pass copies of your employee file around. They are company property and are not distributed to other employers.

Secondly, contrary to popular belief, nothing in the law says that your employer can't tell other employers why you were fired. If that means that you don't get the job, then that means you don't get the job. Not getting jobs is a consequence of previous behavior. Falling asleep on the line is a justifiable reason to term you and an employer is permitted to give this information to other employers.

It doesn't matter whether you think it was right to have to sign the paper or not. Signing a warning is standard operating procedure. Nothing in your post suggests that your employer has done anything wrong; he has violated no laws, and everything you have posted suggests that he has actually followed the correct procedure.

Melodee

my response to cbg Senior member

I viewed your response and I would like to know how a recent potential employer was able to view the warning issued yo me and also how I can be better able to get a job with this going on.melodee in florida:confused:

BelizeBreeze

Melodee said:
I viewed your response and I would like to know how a recent potential employer was able to view the warning issued yo me and also how I can be better able to get a job with this going on.melodee in florida:confused:
They don't have to "View" it. All that they need is to know why you were fired.

And, besides, they don't NEED a reason not to hire you. Based on your post, you were given the correct legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">