• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney refusing to continue a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tasteeee1

What is the name of your state?
maryland

My boyfriend's charges were reversed through the Maryland Court of Appeals. His attorney has refused to continue to the new bond review or the entire case unless my boyfriend agrees to not returning to the city where the crime was committed. Our residence happens to be in the same city. So basically, he's asking us to move to another county or he will not represent my boyfriend. Can he make conditions like that in order to continue representing my boyfriend?

weenor

tasteeee1 said:
What is the name of your state?
maryland

My boyfriend's charges were reversed through the Maryland Court of Appeals. His attorney has refused to continue to the new bond review or the entire case unless my boyfriend agrees to not returning to the city where the crime was committed. Our residence happens to be in the same city. So basically, he's asking us to move to another county or he will not represent my boyfriend. Can he make conditions like that in order to continue representing my boyfriend?

Yes. Has it occurred to either one of you that the lawyer is doing this for boyfriend's own good? If b/f isn't going to do what's best for his case, then I wouldn't represent him either.

tasteeee1

For some reason, I believe that the attorney should have presented that condition prior to now. It's been two years now, and this is the first time it has been brought up. The attorney knew where we resided when we retained him. Unfortunately, not everyone can just pick and move.

Shay-Pari'e

tasteeee1 said:
For some reason, I believe that the attorney should have presented that condition prior to now. It's been two years now, and this is the first time it has been brought up. The attorney knew where we resided when we retained him. Unfortunately, not everyone can just pick and move.
Unfortunately he committed a crime.:rolleyes:

weenor

tasteeee1 said:

And the nature of boyfriend's case has changed since you retained the attorney as well...b/f needs find a place outside of the county either with or without you.

tasteeee1

Fortunately he DIDNT commit the crime. He was (mis)represented by a public defender and was charged with the crime. The DNA evidence to prove his innocence was not allowed in the trial because of a timing guideline that the public defender failed to meet. We are both law abiding citizens with no record of criminal history.

Shay-Pari'e

tasteeee1 said:
Fortunately he DIDNT commit the crime. He was (mis)represented by a public defender and was charged with the crime. The DNA evidence to prove his innocence was not allowed in the trial because of a timing guideline that the public defender failed to meet. We are both law abiding citizens with no record of criminal history.
Hmm, if he didn't commit a crime, and it was reversed, then why does he have an attorney representing him?

Last edited:

weenor

tasteeee1 said:
Fortunately the Court of Appeals agreed with the injustice and granted the reversal.

No the Court of Appeals agreed there was a problem with the trial and based on the lawyers advice, I am going to say the Court reversed and remanded for a new proceeding rather rendering a decision in b/f 's favor. That is far from a finding of "innocent" or "not guilty" and if the Court Appeals agreed the b/f didn't do the crime b/f would not need a lawyer.

badapple40

Who is this attorney who is conditioning his representation on your bf leaving the county?

That doesn't seem right.

If he is a private attorney, seems to me that you need to find another lawyer. If he's a public defender, then you need to file a complaint with the state bar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">