• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car~ is "as is" really as is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icrayn

Arizona

Gerardo’s business is to buy pre-owned state cars from California and sell them in Arizona. On the way home with this car he had to keep putting water in it, but assured us that he had taken care of the problem by replacing the radiator and water pump. At the time of purchase he stated that it may still need a thermostat, if anything. Within a day it was "dumping" water, could not keep water in it. We called him on Dec 23rd about the over heating/water problem and the fact that the check engine light stayed on. After multiple times of driving to his house, him keeping the car for a few days here and there, and renting cars to get to a from work he wanted us to bring it back to him so that he could take it to his mechanic. When we had given him the car to take to the mechanic he stated that if he was to find a major problem with this description it would be the Head Gasket! Once again reassured us that if we had any problems with it within 1 month he would try and fix it himself and within 3 months he would pay half of the repair costs IF he was unable to do it himself. WE were charged $300 for his mechanic to fix the intake manifold, but could only pay $250 due to finances. He had state that he had a device to turn OFF the check engine light for short times to get it through DEQ. By the time we even got home it was STILL over heating, and the check engine light was still on, we live about 20 miles from his home. We called as soon as we got home and at this time he stated that they had driven it around and it was fine. He also told me to just leave it running for awhile or drive it around the block for 30 mins or so. I at this time did inform him that with the little car knowledge that I have I know that it is bad to just let a car sit and overheat. So, we did not follow that advice. He stated that it still needed a thermostat. We got a thermostat and the Chilton’s guide and put it in ourselves. Tried to drive it to work the next day and it STILL over heated and was losing water. When called about the problem a few days later he stated that he could have his mechanic look at it again and see what the problem is now. I stated that at this time I would take it to have someone else look at it since his mechanic had had it the week before and in my opinion did not fix the problem. We took it to a mechanic that had been working on our other car and that cost another $433.14 or so to replace the thermostat again, replace the coolant tank and cap (which they stated the tank was cracked and the cap was leaking), replaced that alternator (which is why the check engine light was on) and replacement of fluids. Our mechanic stated that the intake manifold had been done, so at this point they did not do a full diagnostic test on it. Within 2 miles from their shop it over heated and "dumped" its water. We turned right back around and returned it to the shop for a full exam. It is now stated that it is the Head gasket and from what they can tell one of the heads is either warped or cracked. Their est. to fix it is $1300-$1400 dollars. We have taken the car, 4 or more times it was at an actual mechanics, within the first 45 days. We really do not have count how many times we left the car at Gerardo’s for him to look at it. We have contacted him many times since we purchased the car, for $3250, to get our money back or to get this one drivable. He is now just rude and says take it to him mechanic and the mechanic will cut us a deal. Between mechanics bills, parts, rental cars and trip permits (since we can't get a title with out passing DEQ) we have spent about the same amount of money fixing the problems as we did on the car. We have not driven it for more then a day possibly 2 at a time and most of that was to and from HIS house or the mechanics. I don’t want to keep putting money into it. We got this car for reliability, not looks or any other factor.

JETX

Wow... far too 'rambling' to be understandable (and even readable).
So, the simple answer to your question (I think you asked a question in their somewhere) is:
Yes, "as is" really is "as is".

Spartan1980

Re: as is

I can't speak for Arizona, but in Massachusetts we have 2 laws to protect buyers of used vehicles. The first is the Lemon Law which, if the car fails inspection and repairs will cost more than 10% of the purchase price, gives you the right to receive your money back. This wouldn't apply to you as you had work done to it.

Second is the Used Vehicle Warranty Law where you can get a refund if you can prove that the seller knew of any defect that prevents the car from passing inspection, although you only have 30 days to do this. BUT, every day the car is out of service adds one day to this period. You may qualify for this... you do the math. Hope your state's laws are comparable.

In any case, call your state attorney general immediately, they will let you know your options. Good luck.

teflon_jones

Spartan1980 said:
I can't speak for Arizona, but in Massachusetts we have 2 laws to protect buyers of used vehicles. The first is the Lemon Law which, if the car fails inspection and repairs will cost more than 10% of the purchase price, gives you the right to receive your money back. This wouldn't apply to you as you had work done to it.

Second is the Used Vehicle Warranty Law where you can get a refund if you can prove that the seller knew of any defect that prevents the car from passing inspection, although you only have 30 days to do this. BUT, every day the car is out of service adds one day to this period. You may qualify for this... you do the math. Hope your state's laws are comparable.

In any case, call your state attorney general immediately, they will let you know your options. Good luck.
What you posted is incorrect. First of all, lemon laws only apply to new vehicles, not used vehicles. So all of the information you posted in that paragraph is incorrect.

Secondly, your information about the Used Motor Vehicle Warranty Law is incorrect. You don't get a refund if there's a defect that prevents the car from passing inspection. You can find the full details of the law here:
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1640

Spartan1980

Read it again, Teflon. In Massachusetts the lemon aid law applies to used vehicles and the used vehicle warranty law does entitle you to a refund if you meet the requirements I listed.

JETX

Spartan1980 said:
Read it again, Teflon. In Massachusetts the lemon aid law applies to used vehicles and the used vehicle warranty law does entitle you to a refund if you meet the requirements I listed.
Who gives a crap, nitwit!! The OP is in ARIZONA.... and most anyone with more than a 1/4 of a brain realizes that Massachusetts laws don't apply in AZ!
Jeeze... what a moron!!!

Spartan1980

Note to Jetx:
This forum is for offering advice to those with troubles, NOT for acting like an asinine, infantile idiot. My advice to you is:
Grow up.
Get a job.
Get a life.
And spend your time elsewhere.

JETX

Spartan1980 said:
Note to Jetx:
This forum is for offering advice to those with troubles, NOT for acting like an asinine, infantile idiot. My advice to you is:
Grow up.
Get a job.
Get a life.
And spend your time elsewhere.
Note to 'rubber boy'.....
You are an idiot who has provided NO legal assistance to anyone on this forum... and yet, you seem to think that your opinion is relevant? :D
Kiss my hairy, all-American ass. :D

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Note to 'rubber boy'.....
You are an idiot who has provided NO legal assistance to anyone on this forum... and yet, you seem to think that your opinion is relevant? :D
Kiss my hairy, all-American ass. :D
Crap, gotta update the signature again now.

Spartan1980

Jetx, Your superior intellect and superb grasp of reality have left me unable to continue this battle. And by the way, girls shouldn't have hairy asses. Maybe you should shave yours, sweetie. Nice talkin' to ya. Bye-bye!!!!!!

ENASNI

Spartan1980 said:
Jetx, Your superior intellect and superb grasp of reality have left me unable to continue this battle. And by the way, girls shouldn't have hairy asses. Maybe you should shave yours, sweetie. Nice talkin' to ya. Bye-bye!!!!!!

Yo! was calling JETX a "girl" supposed to be an insult? because if it was I am insulted!

Will someone please get back to the relevant laws of AZ and CA I happen to have an interest in this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">