• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old deptic leach bed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tmgvn14

What is the name of your state? MA

I had posted a previous post regarding the neighbors stairs on my land. Well my house is down hill from theirs so I was digging close to the property line near the stairs and 5 feet on my property I ran into their septic leach field. The leach field is no longer in use they tied into the city 5 yrs ago. I went to the city in which I live to find out the deal with the leach field on my property. The town engineers said they could not help me and the health department said they will look into it. It has been a week and have not heard from them. Just wondering if that has to be removed from my land. Like I said I am down hill from them so the back of my property has a 5 foot slope coming from their yard so the leach field is exposed.
Thanks for any help I can get. The city I live in has been of no help or little help for many things since I started building.

Tmgvn14 said:
What is the name of your state? MA

I had posted a previous post regarding the neighbors stairs on my land. Well my house is down hill from theirs so I was digging close to the property line near the stairs and 5 feet on my property I ran into their septic leach field. The leach field is no longer in use they tied into the city 5 yrs ago. I went to the city in which I live to find out the deal with the leach field on my property. The town engineers said they could not help me and the health department said they will look into it. It has been a week and have not heard from them. Just wondering if that has to be removed from my land. Like I said I am down hill from them so the back of my property has a 5 foot slope coming from their yard so the leach field is exposed.
Thanks for any help I can get. The city I live in has been of no help or little help for many things since I started building.

My response:

So, did you take a chainsaw and cut off the portion of the stairs that are/were on your property?

By the by, whatever you do, don't step into the leach field. Ewwwwwwww!

It's a sh!tty, pissy situation . . . .

IAAL

Tmgvn14

So, did you take a chainsaw and cut off the portion of the stairs that are/were on your property?

By the by, whatever you do, don't step into the leach field. Ewwwwwwww!

It's a sh!tty, pissy situation . . . .

I am ready with the diamond blade saw.

I found out if I remove them and she takes me to court and wins I could be liable for triple damages. The stairs cost them 12,000 to build. So I am holding off for know. I sent a letter forcing them to claim the property in court in 30 days or they are gone.

Tmgvn14 said:
I am ready with the diamond blade saw.

I found out if I remove them and she takes me to court and wins I could be liable for triple damages. The stairs cost them 12,000 to build. So I am holding off for know. I sent a letter forcing them to claim the property in court in 30 days or they are gone.

My response:

I love a good "destroy" story!!

Look, you have the absolute right to remove anything from your property, up to the property line. So, make sure that you have a current survey, then draw a chalk line through the stairs, and START CUTTING!

That'll teach those son's-of-bitches to trespass onto someone's property!

Let me know if the blade gets dull - - - I'll buy you a replacement.

IAAL

nextwife

ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I love a good "destroy" story!!

Look, you have the absolute right to remove anything from your property, up to the property line. So, make sure that you have a current survey, then draw a chalk line through the stairs, and START CUTTING!

That'll teach those son's-of-bitches to trespass onto someone's property!

Let me know if the blade gets dull - - - I'll buy you a replacement.

IAAL

I'd suggest he have the surveyor stake out the line, so that he can be certain that the line he is working from reflects exactly where the line "on the ground" runs. I have seen many too people working off survey misread where that "relates" to the actual line "on the ground". Many laypeople do not acurately "locate" the boundary, easement, and setback lines by working from a piece of paper, whereas a professional surveyor using proper equipment would. Which is why so many people building improvements without staked lines, but WITH "a current survey" in hand, misplace the improvement.

Last edited:

Tmgvn14

I'd suggest he have the surveyor stake out the line, so that he can be certain that the line he is working from reflects exactly where the line "on the ground" runs. I have seen many too people working off survey misread where that "relates" to the actual line "on the ground". Many laypeople do not acurately "locate" the boundary, easement, and setback lines by working from a piece of paper, whereas a professional surveyor using proper equipment would. Which is why so many people building improvements without staked lines, but WITH "a current survey" in hand, misplace the improvement.
The boundries are clearly staked by a professiona surveyor. The neighbor has taken out the stakes a few times but the last time they surveyed 2 weeks ago they banged in 2 foot rebar where they were able to.

All replies have been helpful. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">