• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To: "Just Meeee"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal Eye

DELETING YOUR THREAD GETS YOU NOWHERE!

Originally Posted by Just Meeee
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Back in 2002, a friend of mine was going to move in with my parents and I. At the time we figured her paying 1 utility bill would be good enough. So we had her put the gas on in her name. At the time she gave me all her information and had me call, since she was to afraid or something to call herself.

Two weeks later she decided not to move in. She told me to have her name disconnected from the bill, I no longer had her information and felt it was not my responsibilty to do so. Three months later the first bill finally came in for $300.51. I didn't just have 300 dollars laying around so I left it as it was. The account was shut off.

Years later, she is now getting calls from a collection agency. I'm not working, so I can't just hand her 300 dollars. She says she will have to take it to court if it goes that far. My question is, what can she really say that would give her a winning case? The bill was in her name, why should I have to pay for something that she could have easily had disconnected right away?

is there anything she can do?What is the name of your state?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

Incredible. You and your parents used the services, and somehow you don't think you owe her the money?

If I were the judge . . . well, you wouldn't want to know what I'd do to you and your parents if I were the judge.

Just pay it.

IAAL

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just Meeee]ya that sounds like wonderful legal advice...for one thing the bill was hers to pay...that was the deal of moving in. It's not my problem she was to much of a baby to call herself and have it turned off...

how old are you, 15? jeezus

My response:

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I just love your pretzel logic!

And you totally discount the fact that you and the parents used the gas services . . . am I right?

Let me know how many books the judge throws at you. You have no defense.

IAAL

AHA

Meeee, did you bother to tell your friend that you were too lazy to call the gas company back to undo the damage, or was she expected to read your mind?
If she knew you didn't tell the gas company to remove her name from the bill and decided to not do it herself either, then she's a fool (and would fit perfectly in being your friend), but if she didn't know, and the bills obviously being sent to your parent's house, you and your parents should be f-ing ashamed of yourselves for ignoring them for years and being selfish schmucks!!!!

I can't believe your parents just sat on their @sses for years knowing damn well that someone else was getting billed (wrongly) for THEIR use of gas??? Nice genes you must have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Blue

Legal Eye said:
DELETING YOUR THREAD GETS YOU NOWHERE!

Originally Posted by Just Meeee
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Back in 2002, a friend of mine was going to move in with my parents and I. At the time we figured her paying 1 utility bill would be good enough. So we had her put the gas on in her name. At the time she gave me all her information and had me call, since she was to afraid or something to call herself.

Two weeks later she decided not to move in. She told me to have her name disconnected from the bill, I no longer had her information and felt it was not my responsibilty to do so. Three months later the first bill finally came in for $300.51. I didn't just have 300 dollars laying around so I left it as it was. The account was shut off.

Years later, she is now getting calls from a collection agency. I'm not working, so I can't just hand her 300 dollars. She says she will have to take it to court if it goes that far. My question is, what can she really say that would give her a winning case? The bill was in her name, why should I have to pay for something that she could have easily had disconnected right away?is there anything she can do?What is the name of your state?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

Incredible. You and your parents used the services, and somehow you don't think you owe her the money?

If I were the judge . . . well, you wouldn't want to know what I'd do to you and your parents if I were the judge.

Just pay it.

IAAL

Just Meeee]ya that sounds like wonderful legal advice...for one thing the bill was hers to pay...that was the deal of moving in. It's not my problem she was to much of a baby to call herself and have it turned off...

how old are you, 15? jeezus

My response:

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I just love your pretzel logic!

And you totally discount the fact that you and the parents used the gas services . . . am I right?

Let me know how many books the judge throws at you. You have no defense.

IAAL

Now this is stupidity worth of a dufus state!!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">