• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nursing home billing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbed

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
My mother was admitted into a nursing home in 2004 - my father took her home thinking insurance would not cover it - the nursing home called him and said they had spoken to the insurance company and that her care would be covred - he returned her to the nursing home - now two years later they gave him a bill for $73,000 saying the insurance co was not paying. Upon investagation on our part we found that the nursing facility would wait sometimes 6 - 9 months before even filing the insurance or medicare knowing that they had to have a refusal from medicare before the insurance would pay - Is it legal for them to wait such lengths of time and then hold him responsible for a bill they let pile up? if we had know the insurance was not going to pay we would have brought her home a long time ago and sought home care and such - now they are playing hard nose saying he is responsible and threatening discharge.

seniorjudge

robbed said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi
My mother was admitted into a nursing home in 2004 - my father took her home thinking insurance would not cover it - the nursing home called him and said they had spoken to the insurance company and that her care would be covred - he returned her to the nursing home - now two years later they gave him a bill for $73,000 saying the insurance co was not paying. Upon investagation on our part we found that the nursing facility would wait sometimes 6 - 9 months before even filing the insurance or medicare knowing that they had to have a refusal from medicare before the insurance would pay - Is it legal for them to wait such lengths of time and then hold him responsible for a bill they let pile up? if we had know the insurance was not going to pay we would have brought her home a long time ago and sought home care and such - now they are playing hard nose saying he is responsible and threatening discharge.
Q: Is it legal for them to wait such lengths of time and then hold him responsible for a bill they let pile up?

A: Yes; pa should've been talking to the insurance carrier and not to the nursing home.

robbed

Nursing home Robbery

How would we go about changing this practice? I'm sure we're not the only ones this has happened to. There should be some sort of legislature to prevent nursing facilities from robbing a person of their life's savings and then some! This is nothing short of robbery!

robbed

nursing home robbery

It's one thing if you choose to wait to file your own insurance, but when a facility that charges up to $5,000 a month does this it should be against the law. What other business or person is allowed to do such a thing? They're taking advantage of the elderly and sick in the worse way. This is not malpractice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">