• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Entitlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sylvia Torres

I worked for a company for one year. During that peirod I worked myself up from a customer service representative, to supervisor, to head supervisor. I worked very hard, long hours, at times worked at home and didn't request payment from my employer. I was a dedicated employee. A few months ago, the office manager mentioned that she wanted to hire someone to run the customer service department, i.e. a "Call Center Manager", and wanted someone with experience. I mentioned to her that I was interested in the position. She said to update my resume and to turn into to her and she would consider it along with other applicants. About a week after we had this conversation, I apologized for not turning in my resume, but I had extremely busy. She said "don't worry, I'm in no hurry." Within a week, people were coming in to be interviewed for the Call Center Manager position. The next thing I know, someone was hired from the "outside.". This person did in fact work at a call center, but not in the capacity of a call center supervisor - she in fact was the training supervisor and had not supervised any agents. To add insult to injury, I had to train the new manager, who didn't know a solitary thing about our company! Oh, bye the way, she is making alot more money than I. I tried to work with the new manager. Inasmuch as it's the holiday season, employees were turning in "holiday leave requests".
The supervisor who worked under me requested off from December 24 thru January 2! I spoke with her and tried to work things out because I wanted four days off AFTER CHRISTMAS to be with my son who was coming to visit from out of town. She said she couldn't change her plans because she had already made plans with her husband and could not change them. I went to the office manager and told her it was unfair that I would be the ONLY person in the company not to get any time off during the holidays. She bounced back with "talk to your manager and let her work it our". Well guess what, the manager did work it out - here's how: She scheduled me to work for ten days straight, with one day off and to work half days during the four days that I wanted of!!! This past Monday, December 12, 2000, I gave me employer my two-weeks notice. The Office Manager was out of town, so I gave the resignation letter to her secretary. A few hours later the office manager's husband (he's the operations manager)called me into his office. He said that he was sorry to see me go and thanked me for my professionalism in giving two weeks notice. Yesterday, December 14,2000, I was informed not to let the customer service representatives leave before three o'clock because Christmas bonuses were going to be handed out. Jokingly, I said "I hope there's a check in there for me, or today will be my last day". GUESS WHAT? EVERYONE IN THE OFFICE GOT A CHRISTMAS BONUS BUT ME!!!! I was so hurt that I got up and announced "I am tired of getting screwed over, today is my last day."

I don't think there is anything I could do about the Christmas bonus, however; I have earned one week's vacation for being with the company for one year. Am I entitled to get paid for my week's vacation?

PS: I live in the state of Florida

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you.

[Edited by Sylvia Torres on 12-15-2000 at 11:34 AM]

LegalBeagle

Even if you was entiled to the 1 week, they will just apply it to the week you were to work but did not.. so, you basically took the last week off as leave.

I can not resist telling you this.. but handing in your notice prior to bonus time was plain silly.. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">