• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Towlestevens

What is the name of your state? Washington

A recent survey by my neighbor of the property holding my cabin that has been in the present location for 94 years, and has been in our family for over 60 years determined that the property line disects the cabin from the left rear to the left front. The cabin is in the identical location as when it was built in 1913 and has not been modified. Surrounding property lines for several neighbors are also affected. Decks and porches of other neighbors are now on other people's properties. Prior to the survey, all surrounding neighbors assumed the old property line was correct. Does Adverse Possession apply?

seniorjudge

Towlestevens said:

A recent survey by my neighbor of the property holding my cabin that has been in the present location for 94 years, and has been in our family for over 60 years determined that the property line disects the cabin from the left rear to the left front. The cabin is in the identical location as when it was built in 1913 and has not been modified. Surrounding property lines for several neighbors are also affected. Decks and porches of other neighbors are now on other people's properties. Prior to the survey, all surrounding neighbors assumed the old property line was correct. Does Adverse Possession apply?
Adverse possession may be a factor here. Hire a good real estate attorney now.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/lat06.htm

justalayman

Towlestevens said:

Is this the only survey that has ever been done on any of the affected properties? Surveyors do occasionally make mistakes. If there is any other survey that contradicts this survey, maybe it's time to call this surveyor back and have him check his placements.

Towlestevens

Unable to locate any prior surveys on any of the subject properties. Three of the property owners are getting together to get another survey. I'm hoping this survey will show that the original property lines were correct. The purpose of my original question was to plan ahead in case the new survey supports the revised property line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">