• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped by "Dealer"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaybird22

What is the name of your state? tx
Two days ago I bought a used car from a dealer for my son. On our way home, total driving miles 30-40 miles, it broke down. We paid cash. This dealer works out of his home but he has a web site with the business name of Alexander and Son Autos. He didn't have the title for the car, he claims he was selling the car for someone else and that person has the title. We were going to get the title the next day. The car does not have a state safety inspection. Not sure its even registered because he took the sticker off another car he had in his yard to put in our car. He claimed he needed the sticker for the other car because it didn't have one and he needed to drive it to test it out. As soon as the car broke down I tried calling him on his cell phone and got no answer. I left a message detailing what had happened. I called him numerous times that night but got no answer. I finally got hold of him the next day. He told me he would try and get another car for us ("a better one"). I told him that I wanted our money back, he said the money was gone. He told me to call him back in an hour and he would have something for me. Against my better judgement (and as I'm writing this it's hard to believe that I had any sense of judgement) I agreed. Well wouldn't you know it an hour later there was no answer. I called him numerous times throughout the day and got no answer. Finally later that night, which was last night, I got hold of him. He said he would take care of the towing of the car back to his place and that he needed until today to find us another car. He claimed his cell phone battery died and he was out all day. Sounded pretty convincing so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Called him a few minutes ago and he informed me that I had to take care of the towing back to his house. Let's just say the conversation didn't last much longer after that. As many bone headed mistakes I've made the past couple of days, do I have any kind of recourse to get my money back? Please tell me I do.

teflon_jones

You need to sue the person for the money. Do not accept another vehicle in place of this one. That would just be another mistake, and you've made enough already. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">