• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

difference between legal boundaries and assessor's map

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elenajfr

What is the name of your state? california

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me with that matter
Is there a difference between the legal, original map of a property (lot with official boudaries and description ) and the map recorded at the county assessor( Los Angeles in my case ) used to pay tax ?
If there is a difference, how could it be explained ?

For example, how can you pay tax on a guest house that was built without permit, therefore is illigal, but is recorded with the assessor ?

I have in my possesion 2 surveys done by previous owners of the house that contradict what's on the assessor's map ( my property is smaller on the assessor's map than on the surveys ). When you know the price of real estate in Los Angeles , it would make a big difference in value.

Thanks for your help.

rmet4nzkx

elenajfr said:
What is the name of your state? california

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me with that matter
Is there a difference between the legal, original map of a property (lot with official boudaries and description ) and the map recorded at the county assessor( Los Angeles in my case ) used to pay tax ?
If there is a difference, how could it be explained ?

For example, how can you pay tax on a guest house that was built without permit, therefore is illigal, but is recorded with the assessor ?

I have in my possesion 2 surveys done by previous owners of the house that contradict what's on the assessor's map ( my property is smaller on the assessor's map than on the surveys ). When you know the price of real estate in Los Angeles , it would make a big difference in value.

Thanks for your help.
Who build the guest house, when? What does your survey say? Greater value means more taxes I'm sure the Assessor will be happy to revise the parcel description and increase your taxes with a new survey. Also the building inspector will be happy to insepct your guest house and of course you will have to make amends there as well.

elenajfr

Hi,

Actually the guest house is not on my property, I was just using it as an example on how it is possible to pay tax on something that is not recorded officially.

In my case, the problem is about the boundaries ( not the same on the assessor's map and on the surveys ).
Any ideas why?

rmet4nzkx

elenajfr said:
Hi,

Actually the guest house is not on my property, I was just using it as an example on how it is possible to pay tax on something that is not recorded officially.

In my case, the problem is about the boundaries ( not the same on the assessor's map and on the surveys ).
Any ideas why?
Why waste my time giving me a false set of facts.:rolleyes:
Figure it out yourself!

jimmler

elenajfr said:
Hi,

Any ideas why?
Assessors maps are just approximations of what they think you own. They are not accurate in any way.

A current survey is based on the opinion of the surveyor after they have gathered available public records such as deeds and subdivision plats for your property and your neighbors properties, investigated property evidence in the field, and analyzed all of the data to see how it fits together.

I have seen people that had acres less than they thought they had due to assessors records and not having a current survey.

In other words, you need a current survey to see what the actual acreage is. Also, it is possible for two different surveyors to come up with different acreages due to differences in thier opinion of the boundary, but in most cases they would be very close to the same.

jimmler
I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying since 1989.

nextwife

Also, the plat represents the way the lots were laid out in the most recently recorded subdivision plat or CSM. In many cases, the legal boundaries may not follow the plat as shown.

Example: My own homes legal description si something like: LOt 20 together with a strip off the northerly end of lot 19 having a width of 5 feet aklong the easterly line therof and 5.05 feet along the westerly line thereof in the Whatever-Its-Called Subdivision.

So, the plat line is NOT respresentative of the actual legal description of this or the other properties on my side of the street, all of which have an extra few feet of the contiquous lot contained in their legals.

Last edited:

elenajfr

Than you very much for your replies.
Indeed, I think I need to have a new suvey done to have a better idea of what I really own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">