• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofer breach on contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcurcio

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I hired a roofer on April 1st to reshingle my roof, he said he would be there on Tuesday and finish on Wed. On Monday, I called him to let him know we had an emergency and would be out of town the rest of the week and would pay him for the finished job when we returned, he said not to worry, when we come home on Thursday everything will be done. On Thursday we came home and nothing was done. I called him and he said the shingles were back ordered and he would be there next week. Next week I called him and he said the shingles should be in later in the week and he will be there Friday. Still did not show up.
On Tuesday I called and he said the shingles just came in he will be here Thursday. He came on Thursday at 1, todl my mom they would have the roof finished by Friday night ,by 1:45 his workers were taking a lunch break. At 6 the shingles on the back of my house were not even of yet. They cleaned up and said they would be back the next day, and the roof will be completely done by Friday.
The next morning they cleaned up and said they would finish the shingles in the afternoon on the back of the house before the rain came, but could not do the front of the house. By 2 they still did not come back, I tried calling him repeatedly, but no answer. Around 3:30, 3 guys came and tarped my roof saying the roofer told them to, and that he called me and explained everything. Meanwhile, I called the borough, found out he never had a permit and the code enforcer said he had to stop work immediately. He finally called me around 6 and screamed and cursed me out when I said the tarp had holes in it and the roof was not tarped correctly.
I ened up calling another roofer to fix the tarp, when he got to my house he noticed the base of the sewer pipe was exposed and needed to be covered or water will get into it and ruin my bathroom. He corrected that problem and then the rain started so he had to get of the roof. He said to call him with any problems. The next day the bathroom began to leak and so did the attic, we called the second roofer he came and retarped everything.
On Sunday night I called the original roofer and told him we found someone else to finish the roof and he can pick up his stuff tmw. He called back and told me it was a breach of contract and I owed him the rest of his money and he was taking me to court, I asked him where on the estimate he gave me it said that and he hung up.

All I signed was the estimate, there is nothing stating I am to pay him regardless, or that this piece of paper is a contract. I did give him a deposit for the supplies, which I am willing to lose just to get him out of my hair. Am I liable for the rest of the payment?

Thanks.

daarnio

It sounds as though you hired yourself a "trunk slammer". I'm sure his legal threats have about as may holes in it as his contracting methods. Check to see if there is a lein on your property. If not...pay him what you think is fair. Unfortunately, I'm sure he'll just move on to his next victim. If their is a lien hire representation to clear the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">