• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about copyright infringement (MA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

probateproblems

Several years ago(before 1994)I entered a poetry contest I found in a newspaper magazine. Safe to say I did not win but was received a letter informing me how great my poem was. It further stated that they would like to include me in their up-and-coming book of poetry. A release contact was included. I declined by never sending it in.

Recently I found out this company had a website. So I went to the web page and just out of curiosity searched for my poem. There it was. When I questioned the site they gave me the run around. They say they never put my poem in a book but I still don't know that for sure. Not so sure I want to invest $50 on a book that's re-published yearly. I told them I wanted them to remove my poem from their site and they have not complied with my wishes.

Here's the bottom line. The poem is not a registered work. On their site my name is clearly visible. I have the original hand written poem. I have their release contract. It includes my poem with my name and is dated. Can they be held liable for copyright infringement? Is my arguement flawed because I do not have the work registered? I'm still not sure about them publishing my poem in a book. That would be a more serious infringement. On the basis of web publishing, are they then liable?

Thanks
William

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">