• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California: Boundry Lines Non Discolsure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rekd

California

I recently bought a house, and was told by the REA and the seller that the property line ran along the side fences to the center of the (private) road. Looking at the (Title Company) supplied parcel map, it shows the same thing, but has a note saying something to the effect that " the actual centerline of the travelled roadway may or may not be accurate and cannot be plotted".

Now several months later, the neighbor accross the street is claiming that the property line runs about 25 feet closer to my house than I thought. This puts my driveway entrance, several trees/shrubs, and some irrigation supposedly in HIS yard. (I noticed this when his friend got his truck/trailer stuck in my yard, and broke some irrigation... the neighbor said "I shouldn't have put the sprinklers on HIS property".) If taken from the EDGE of the paved road, he says the line runs about 10 to 15 feet thru my lawn. He also says that he has had problems with every single person that has lived in this house in the last several decades.

Is the seller and/or the seller's RE agent liable for non-disclosure, or perhaps perjury? Or do I not have a case because of the road not being "able to be plotted"?

If they are responsible, what are my options? If I had known that was the case, I would definately NOT have bought that house.

seniorjudge

Rekd said:
California

I recently bought a house, and was told by the REA and the seller that the property line ran along the side fences to the center of the (private) road. Looking at the (Title Company) supplied parcel map, it shows the same thing, but has a note saying something to the effect that " the actual centerline of the travelled roadway may or may not be accurate and cannot be plotted".

Now several months later, the neighbor accross the street is claiming that the property line runs about 25 feet closer to my house than I thought. This puts my driveway entrance, several trees/shrubs, and some irrigation supposedly in HIS yard. (I noticed this when his friend got his truck/trailer stuck in my yard, and broke some irrigation... the neighbor said "I shouldn't have put the sprinklers on HIS property".) If taken from the EDGE of the paved road, he says the line runs about 10 to 15 feet thru my lawn. He also says that he has had problems with every single person that has lived in this house in the last several decades.

Is the seller and/or the seller's RE agent liable for non-disclosure, or perhaps perjury? Or do I not have a case because of the road not being "able to be plotted"?

If they are responsible, what are my options? If I had known that was the case, I would definately NOT have bought that house.

Q: Is the seller and/or the seller's RE agent liable for non-disclosure, or perhaps perjury?

A: Of course not. YOU are responsible for determining your lot lines by looking at the survey you order when you buy real estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">