• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drywall Contractor AWOL???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caymancabo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello. I signed a contract to have the drywall finished on new construction
on 1-26-2006. I wired half of the funds to the contractor's business bank account
2 days later. For over 3 months now I keep getting "I am going to start next week"
routine. It is always family problems, worker problems, weather, etc. The last 3 weeks
the contractor won't even take or return my calls. To add to the problem, the contractor
is over 200 Miles away from my main residence. Any help on where to go from
here would be greater appreciated.

Thank You.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

caymancabo said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello. I signed a contract to have the drywall finished on new construction
on 1-26-2006. I wired half of the funds to the contractor's business bank account
2 days later. For over 3 months now I keep getting "I am going to start next week"
routine. It is always family problems, worker problems, weather, etc. The last 3 weeks
the contractor won't even take or return my calls. To add to the problem, the contractor
is over 200 Miles away from my main residence. Any help on where to go from
here would be greater appreciated.

Thank You.
You have been scammed. Sue the dude and hire a new drywaller.

(By the way, I have to ask why anyone would hire a drywaller who lived 200 miles away?!:confused: )

Buk1000

Also: Contact the state attorney general's office, and if MI licenses contractors file a complaint at the licensing agency too. SOME states will go after contractors who take the money but don't do the work. if you don't already have it get the guy's home address, etc. Contractors like this have a habit of disappearing.

caymancabo

Thanks for the response. The distance & time involved
has been a problem. But now, being out $3000 is a bigger
problem.

acmb05

caymancabo said:
Thanks for the response. The distance & time involved
has been a problem. But now, being out $3000 is a bigger
problem.
Geeez how big is this vacation home? Was the price for hanging and finishing the drywall? I was a contractor in Michigan for 6 years and can tell you that 6000 is an awful lot of drywall hanging. Figure about 1.25 a foot to hang and finish plus material. I can also give you some great references if you need them depending on the area you are in.

That being said. You can sue the contractor and then attach his bank account or any other assets he may have. Good luck though if he is a scam man you will probably never see your money.

caymancabo

Well. A few days after asking for some advice the drywaller called me.
He hurt his back was the excuse I got. Said he was starting this week
and guess what, I had someone check the house and no drywall. Another
week has gone by with no messages returned.

The house is in Crawford County and will be just over 6000sqft of drywall.

Since he won't return my calls, any advice making contact directly? I think
I am going to show up at this home/business this weekend. I wish I could
have sooner but am 200 miles away.

Thanks again for the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">