• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oops the builder forgot to add a bill to Loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lgmacox1

What is the name of your state? Kansas

When our new home was being built, we had stated that we would pay for the sod, well (everything included in getting a well to work), etc., out of our own pockets. My husband and the mortage broker discussed us rolling everything into the loan and using the money to put down on the loan so that we could get a lower interest rate. The Real Estate broker in the area stated we could do that and the builder agreed.

Two weeks after we closed and moved into our home, the real estate broker and the builder came over and said, "Oops, we forgot to add the pump the the loan and you owe me $1500." Not to mention everything that was estimated to us came out "way"over the estimate, so we did not feel at closing that there was something missing. We put down what we thought we would be putting down.

Do we owe this? I feel that when you close, you close. Except for things that needed to be repaired that was written down at walk through, which took me mentioning the words "attorney" to get fixed since he took 5 months to repair. The last of the repairs have been done and now the builder is saying we need to settle up on this bill.

Sorry so long, but we are at our wits end and don't know what is legal. Heck, they could come back in a few months and say "oops we forgot to add another bill and you need to pay it". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. LG What is the name of your state? KansasWhat is the name of your state?

HomeGuru

lgmacox1 said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

When our new home was being built, we had stated that we would pay for the sod, well (everything included in getting a well to work), etc., out of our own pockets. My husband and the mortage broker discussed us rolling everything into the loan and using the money to put down on the loan so that we could get a lower interest rate. The Real Estate broker in the area stated we could do that and the builder agreed.

Two weeks after we closed and moved into our home, the real estate broker and the builder came over and said, "Oops, we forgot to add the pump the the loan and you owe me $1500." Not to mention everything that was estimated to us came out "way"over the estimate, so we did not feel at closing that there was something missing. We put down what we thought we would be putting down.

Do we owe this? I feel that when you close, you close. Except for things that needed to be repaired that was written down at walk through, which took me mentioning the words "attorney" to get fixed since he took 5 months to repair. The last of the repairs have been done and now the builder is saying we need to settle up on this bill.

Sorry so long, but we are at our wits end and don't know what is legal. Heck, they could come back in a few months and say "oops we forgot to add another bill and you need to pay it". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. LG What is the name of your state? KansasWhat is the name of your state?

**A: what is this pump for and are you using it?

lgmacox1

pump for well

The well is for watering the outside landscaping. In order for a well to work, you have to have a pump for the well, not to mention paying to have the pump wired to the well. Apparently, not 1 person does it all, you have to hire someone to dig the well, someone to put the pump in, and someone to wire it. Then this is all hooked to a sprinkler system. Which we payed way over was given to us as estimates on everything and that is why at closing we didn't think anything was missing because we put down what we were told we would be putting down on the loan.

HomeGuru

lgmacox1 said:
The well is for watering the outside landscaping. In order for a well to work, you have to have a pump for the well, not to mention paying to have the pump wired to the well. Apparently, not 1 person does it all, you have to hire someone to dig the well, someone to put the pump in, and someone to wire it. Then this is all hooked to a sprinkler system. Which we payed way over was given to us as estimates on everything and that is why at closing we didn't think anything was missing because we put down what we were told we would be putting down on the loan.

**A: you are obligated to pay for the pump.

lgmacox1

I know I am asking for advise and you have answered the question, but, on what basis makes us owe this. I have spoken to 2 relatives, one is an attorney and one works at a title company, just not in Kansas, they live in Texas, and both stated they were shocked the builder even approached us. It was bad record keeping on his and the RE agent's part and they should just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Is there some legal law that states we are responsible. What keeps a builder from coming back over and over on things they "forgot" to add. Thanks, again. LG

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">