• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warranty expires-but problem not fixed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldie

What is the name of your state? iowa
I bought a new home in April 2004. A water damage ceiling was fixed but the source of the water leak was not investigated and fixed. Now the ceiling is discolored and beginning to crack. Can I still request that my home builder come back and investigate the source of the leak and fix it free.

HomeGuru

goldie said:
What is the name of your state? iowa
I bought a new home in April 2004. A water damage ceiling was fixed but the source of the water leak was not investigated and fixed. Now the ceiling is discolored and beginning to crack. Can I still request that my home builder come back and investigate the source of the leak and fix it free.
**A: why was the cause of the problem not investigated and fixed?

Buk1000

Your chances may be better if you have written proof of this incident. Without that, the builder can easily claim you never notified him before the warranty expired. It's pretty common for builders to do only cosmetic repairs without investigating, or even when they do know the cause of a problem. many times this will "do" until the warranty runs out, thus they escape the really expensive repairs. the people they send to do repairs can also be rather incompetent and not even think to investigate or know what they are looking at. For these reasons the homeowner needs to know what they are looking at, or hire someone who does, before the warranty runs out. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">